Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of butterfly bush is this?

Posted by coolbutterfly 4b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 14:02

Hi everyone, I bought some "white profusion" butterfly bush seeds last winter and planted them this spring.

They have just started flowering but the blooms are definitely not white. Does someone know what species this is? Thanks in advance for your help, Tony

From Monarchs & Liatris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of butterfly bush is this?

Buddleia davidii I believe.
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

o

Coolbutterfly,

Your plant looks like a cross between White Profusion and Black Knight, both Buddleia davidiis. I say this because I've had some volunteers come up between my two plants. They are paler than the Black Knight, but definitely not white. This is because the flowers were open pollinated and two colors cross pollinated. The person you got the seeds from had other colors of butterfly bushes besides white. The only way you could guarantee white butterfly bushes from the seeds is to grow only white butterfly bushes.

The best way to get a White Profusion is to find someone that has one and take a cutting. Butterfly bushes are easy to propagate from cuttings.

o

Thanks for the explanation...I have 3 bushes so it will be interesting to see if the other 2 have different colored blooms.

I'm in Minnesota, so just hoping my bush will come back if I mulch with leaves before winter.

Thanks again butterfly mom!

o

Well, how neat is that? I didn't know that they do that. Good heavens, between all the different ones in my yard, there is no telling what I would come up with. I have grown them from cuttings, and like mom says, they are easy to grow. Just for kicks, I think I will collect some seed from my White Profusion and see what grows from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here