Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
napapen

tomato hornworm pupa

napapen
12 years ago

I have a hornworm that I am feeding so that I can observe the life cycle. He or it is in a bottle with leaves. I plan to put some soil in and wondered how deep the soil should be.

Alot of people say ugh, but I think it is a very handsome worm, soft, silky skin and no dirtier than most the other butterfly larva.

Penny

Comments (20)

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

Penny, hornworms ARE quite clean. However, always wash your hands after handling it, simply because it may spit some or even poop, while in your hand, and the plant matter is toxic. Manducas feed on nightshades and even tomato leaves and stems are toxic, so you don't want to play with a hornworm, then start eating chips or something.
    As for the dirt, I rarely go more than 3" deep. In fact, I use pure, moist peat right out of the bag and add about 3" to a plastic ice cream or margarine tub.
    Once the worm is in place, do not move or disturb the container, other than to cover it. I usually toss in a couple of big leaves or sprigs just in case it needs or want to eat some more, unless I see the visible color change on the worm itself, indicating it IS ready, beyond any question, to pupate and will NOT eat another single bite.
    Hornworms can change color. Watch for a paler, almost translucent green around head and thorax. Another clear sign is a pinkish/reddish hue along dorsal side. My last worms never changed color, but did quit eating. Unlike the July batch, the August worms burrowed in, but then resurfaced and just acted like they were going bonkers. Three of them became so restless, they managed to reach up to the containter's edge, grasp it, then get out. I found them and put them back in, removed all leaves and snapped on the lid.
    10 days later, I unearthed 5 healthy pupae, placed in some of the peat and have them in a sealed container to overwinter in bottom drawer of my fridge.

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I like the idea of peat moss and will do that instead of soil. So they do go walkies like the other larva right before , that's good to know. I love the idea of overwintering. When do you take them out? I can build a newspaper article for Master Gardeners about this. I am really excited. Thanks for information.

Penny

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can't find my friend this morning so he must be down into the peat moss!! I will check in a day or two when the case would be harden. Then into the refrig!

Penny

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I could not stand it so I peeked. He is going around the container about 4" under the peat moss so he is doing the walkies bit! I wonder how big a container I should store in the refrigerator - Big peanut butter container?

Penny

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Hi Penny,
    I always just used a layer of shreaded paper towel for the "diggers" to pupate in, no soil or any other medium. Clean, absorbent, cheap and works very well. Have also used shreaded newspaper just as easily. I often stored bare pupae in corregated cardboard furrows that were cut to size so they could "breathe", and layered them in small non-airtight containers for the winter. They are easy to lightly mist when needed to prevent dessication, easy to check for the first beginings of mold or mildew and to move to fresh CB furrows if either is present. Anyway, worked well for me and most years I over wintered thousands of pupae of dozens of species without loosing any.
    Larry

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You just store them outside during the winter? He is still moving around his apartment and quite angry if I take a peek.
    I will figure out something for storing, It's still warm here during the day. My refrig is frost free so I would need an airtight container if I do that.

Penny

• ladobe
    12 years ago

While I did intentionally winter some outside in the deep snow, no, most were kept in refridgerators (I had 5 of them) so I could control the temps to simulate fall to spring. But they will do just fine in your kitchen fridge if kept as far away from the freezer as possible if its not a side by side. Frost free or not I'd stay with non airtight containers and just check them regularly. Trapping moisture invites mold and mildew - they need to have airflow.

Leave it alone and give it a chance to settle down to pupate... it won't hurt for it to be right where it is for a few weeks. Stop peeking FCOL. LOL

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks again and I will do my best to not peek!!
    Penny

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did one peek this am and it is 4 days now and the cat is just resting under the moss. How long does it take to make pupa. Do they shed their skin or weave a coat?

Also found another and have it in a separate container eating and pooping to it's heart's content!

One thing you are never too old to be curious!!

Penny

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Penny,

Get a transparent container for your hornworms to pupate in. I have found that they will go to the bottom to pupate and you will be able to see them there. Just keep the container set on something so the bottom is dark. I think Susan uses round containers that hold bulk candy, cookies, etc. I have used a small aquarium from a science kit. Needs to be deep enough for about 4-6 inches of whatever you use--peat or paper (towel) run through a shredder.

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mr. Larva is slowing changing colors - I have him in a container that I can see his nose and it is like he is growing a shell. Have second one who is Mr. Eat everything in sight. This is an interesting observation!

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Penny, you are worse than a small child. ;)

Take a time out, go stand in the corner... or make it the responsibility of a kid who will follow instructions not to disturb it. LOL

The longer you keep bothering it the longer it will take, OR it may just give up, not pupate and eventually die. Sheesh!

Larry

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know but I has a need to know!! Penny

• Ament
    12 years ago

LoL Penny, you are worse than my daughter! Do as Larry says, before it quits on you girl! :D
    ~Tina

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

Sorry guys, I meant to say my sealed container is NOT literally airtight. It still breathes, but does not allow condensate to collect, seep through and drown them.
    Like Ladobe, I said not to disturb for at least a week, so proper pupation can take place.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Aww Penny! Great job with the hummer! :)

• napapen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another question - should I wait until they have built their pupa or should I put them in the refrigerator now - Nights are in the 50s and I could also put them under the house. I will be gone after Tuesday and I want to make sure they are secure.

Penny

• ilovesalem
    12 years ago

i am so glad i found this forum! my family has also taken on a "pet" horn worm and basically rescued it from being squashed from grandpa. my 4 year old loves it and we've been feeding it tomatoes and leaves daily.

this morning we woke up and basically thought it was dying- it was not looking good and we thought maybe the cat got to it (still a possibility?)

anyway, thanks to wikipedia i was happy to learn about the pre-pupua stage and i think that's where it is. he is currently in a plastic food storage container and i learned that they molt in dirt. just added some dirt.

any suggestions?

i'm a little confused about the fridge thing? we live in san diego and i was hoping just to release the moth whenever it's ready (when will it be ready?)

do i need to continue to feed it? it's not eating right now.

thanks in advanced for any help. this is my first worm/caterpillar and a little clueless but thrilled to know i'm not the only one caring for something that most people view as "pests."

• tdogmom
    12 years ago

Penny, you crack me up! I used those large to go containers for my hornworm 'homes.' I kept them on the bathroom counter so I could watch them because they were transparent, so like you, I was able to watch them (yep, I am also a pupa voyeur!!). You can actually hear them moving about. tee-hee!

I never stuck 'em in the fridge. I live in Southern California (Costa Mesa/Newport Beach) and mine haven't had any issues with pupating and undergoing metamorphosis.

Have fun!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths