Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loess_roots

Aristolochia serpentaria for Pipevine Swallowtails

loess_roots
16 years ago

I've got some Aristolochia serpentaria (Virginia snakeroot) seed to share with the forum members this fall.

Also, if it is your desire to be up and running with native host plants for the pipevine swallowtail (PVS) next spring, then you might consider obtaining a plant or two of the Aristolochia serpentaria this fall. It is a shade-loving perennial that gets about 15" tall if planted in a good rich soil.

My beds of A. serpentaria really drew in the PVS this summer in contrast to the previous two years when none visited my garden. Hmm, I wonder why they suddenly showed up this summer? Because I planted more A. serpentaria perhaps?

Anyway, contact me if you are wanting some seed or more information about this plant.

Rod Angeroth

rodangeroth@yahoo.com

402-439-5256

Comments (10)

• jwink246
    16 years ago

I would love some. I have emailed you.
    Jennifer

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Rod, the Va. snakeroots I got from you last year have really fed the PVS cats this year! They 've been chewed to the ground numerous times, and always come back quickly, feeding still more cats. They're still in containers, but I'll be planting them in the ground soon.
    MissSherry

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

If you still have seeds, I would love to have some. I recently received Aristolochia fimbriata seeds which some suggested I go ahead and direct sow now. I have never grown either of these plants so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peggy

• linda_centralokzn6
    16 years ago

I just got a wonderful shipment of A. serpentaria seeds and dried roots, just full of lush roots. My plants were ate to the ground numerous times this summer, and rebounded.

I highly recommend Rod's plants and seeds. He is a very honest and generous man. You will be very pleased with your order, if you have a filtered light area in rich amended soil for these plants.

They do love Miss Sherry's famous chicken manure. :)

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

I would love some too. I'll send you an e-mail!
    Joann

• cass_fritillary
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me how this plant does in zone 8? I live just north of dallas and am trying to plant mostly natives and just about anything to attract butterflies to my garden. I am really interested in attracting the PVS and am curious how big the a. serpentaria gets in my region.

I have tried to get a. tomentosa and a. fimbriata but all my local nurseries are sold out or don't carry it at all. I didn't realize how hard this stuff was to find.

• linda_centralokzn6
    16 years ago

Cass, I can't really speak for Zone 8. But, from experience, the serpentaria does not get very large, and the leaves are quite tender, making it beneficial for the younger cats. It would take "mega" amounts of it to feed an entire colony. I tend to supplement the tomentosa and clematitis with the serpentaria. I have not tried the fimbriata, but I hear that it does quite well in Texas.

Hopefully, someone from Texas will be of more help. It will take alot of plants of whatever you choose, as they tend to lay lots of eggs, and eat alot. But, the rewards are just heaven!!! They are most the most beautiful butterfly, and the caterpillars are just too cute.

I hear your pain. Aristolochia is hard to find. I've had to mail order all of mine, and it is not cheap. And, the plants are usually quite small. It is taken me 3 years for my plants to get established enough to have a colony all summer.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I commend you for your interest in native plants. I have started planting more native plants. They just seem to do much better.

Keep us posted.

For those of you interested in the seeds, I have had excellent luck with germination with refrigerating the seeds with a lil moisture until about February, and then Wintersowing them in pots inside plastic bags with slits. My germination was much better than planting the seeds in the ground. You may want to try sowing some in the ground, and some in pots, and see what works better for you. :)

• butterflymomok
    16 years ago

Cass,

I can get you started with Tomentosa. I have some that I have harvested that I keep in small pots until they are established. I have a plant I could send to you. I harvest the runners from some wild growing Tomentosa that gets constantly mowed down by the county.

This Tomentosa is not growing in a wild area per se, it grows on the right of way bordering my neighborhood. Just wanted to make that clear to anyone that might think I was going out in the wild and digging up the plants!

I only take the runners so the original plants are still growing.

You can email me and send me your address. These are very tiny plants, but they have grown roots and put on new growth.

OKSandy

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Rod I got my seeds this week! Thanks very much. I'm going to winter sow mine and see how they do!
    Joann

• kek19
    16 years ago

I just sent you an e-mail, not sure if this offer still stands or not.