Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch fall migration

Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:55

I have seen three monarch butterflies flying through our neighborhood today. It is around 65 degrees F, and sunny. Monarchs have been scarce this summer. I am hoping that next year will be better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch fall migration

Yeah, me too...
I've had one or two hanging around for about 2 wks now nectaring like mad, but I know it's too late for ELFs. I hope to see a lot more in the way of butterflies in general, but esp. the Monarchs.

o

Scarce is an understatement. I've seen 2 the entire season, and not one egg or caterpillar this year. Huge disappointment...

o

I saw two today as well, for the first time all year. I planted all this milkweed but I never got anything. Here's hoping for more next year!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 22:19

This afternoon, I saw a monarch, nectaring, at Maplewood Skilled Nursing, in Sauk City, Wisconsin. It was sunny, 70 degrees F, and around 3pm. This is pretty late for monarchs to be migrating south, but the weather is cooperating, so far.

o

This just emphasizes the importance of providing a variety of host and nectar plants for all the pollinators that will be available throughout the season, even the extreme early and late. I had been disappointed that my Mexican Sunflowers hadn't bloomed earlier, but now I'm glad they are blooming now.

Martha

o

Martha,

as a fellow northerner I either start Mexican seeds indoors one month before avg last frost OR the past couple seasons I have bought plants for a much longer bloom period. Mine are still blooming in Minnesota....but the cold will end them soon :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here