Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liljagster

Crystalides Moving

liljagster
15 years ago

I have 3 crystalides that are wiggling. Does this mean they will emerge soon? They've been doing this every so often for at least the past 2 hours. I've been sitting in front of them in hopes to not miss any births, but I can't sit there anymore! LOL. I will keep checking on them, but I don't want to miss anything either!

Comments (7)

• awgaupp
    15 years ago

They just move if theres something scaring them, like a predator

• liljagster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did notice a gnat on one of them and it moved, but 3 of them were moving and I didn't see anything on them, but that is what I read online, too. Thanks!!! At least I know they're still alive because I've been wondering when they will emerge. I thought I was going to get lucky today! darn. I've yet to see one emerge, but have seen all the other stages.

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

I'm assuming they're BST chrysalids. I have one that keeps getting these gnatty bugs on it, and I'm worried they're going to harm to it, so I'm trying to kill them. I blow them off the chrysalis, then press down with a piece of scotch tape (on the wood; not the chrysalis!), to ensure their demise. I occasionally touch the chrysalis, and it wiggles. It's kind of creepy.

• liljagster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, yes, BSTs... gnats here too. When I blow on it or even put my finger close to it w/o touching, it moves. It is creepy. I thought they were going to emerge, so I sat there with a coke and my camera waiting!! LOL. How stupid of me. I was killing the gnats, too. I'm glad I'm once again not alone!

• liljagster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a good question... how come 3 of my chrystalids would wiggle today for really no reason, but yet not when other cats would walk over them? I don't understand that one.

• shopsafari
    10 years ago

Has anyone ever had a not completely formed but mostly formed cystalides? I have two hanging but with an end of a black caterpillar at one end. I was told they will develop, just give them time, but days are passing and nothing's changed. Do I still transfer them to the butterly habitat or have they died?

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

First, the "gnats" are most likely parasitoid wasps. Parasitoid wasps come in all sizes, from the four plus inch megarhyssa to the tiny, tiny fig wasps. The common chalcid wasps are usually the culprit. This is a large family of parasitoid wasps that lay their eggs in butterfly pupae and eggs. The "wiggling" You describe is an adaptation to try to shoo these critters off. IMO it does not really work. This is why we collect eggs as soon as we see them laid by mom. Collecting eggs and caterpillars later does not guarantee against parasitoid wasps.

Where are your chrysalises kept? If they are outside, you will have to come up with a system that excludes these wasps (as well as ants). Some are small enough to get through mesh screen. I think some people on this board have used tulle fabric to exclude them.

Also, depending on the species of butterfly, it may wiggle all the way through pupation or just when it first forms a pupa. Some will stop wiggling just before they pupate. Just depends.

Good luck,
    Elisabeth

Sponsored