Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cresphontes

Pipevine Chrysalis?

Cresphontes
10 years ago

My pipevine swallowtail chrysalis has been in its pupa for a long time since August 25 Ive had a monarch pupate afterwards and enclosed yesterday. Is this normal or should I be worried.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Comments (3)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

It's normal, it may even overwinter, Nicholas.

Sherry

• TreeRoots
    10 years ago

Not to throw the thread off-topic, but Sherry, do you know how the pupaes tell when to open after their hibernation through the cold months? If they're inside and can't tell the temperature, is it just... something built in, relative to when they were laid as eggs, or something?
    I have 5 chrysalides that have yet to open, as well. I also just collected 6 pipevine eggs, and 5 first instar BST... A little worried that they will emerge too late into the season (it's already chilly here, surprisingly)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Chrysalides can be very unpredictable as to when they emerge, TreeRoots. By inside, do you mean inside the chrysalis or inside your home? If you keep one inside your warmed up house, they might emerge in January, so it's best to find a protected (from chrsyalis eaters and dessicating snow, rain, sleet, etc.) place outside. I've been trying to find out what causes chrsyalides to emerge when they do for a long time, and nobody has a perfect answer, but if you keep them outside, they'll most likely emerge when the temperatures start to warm up, and the plants are beginning to make new growth. When they were laid as eggs doesn't appear to make too much difference. I had three spicebush swallowtails that I was raising a few months ago - one of them emerged promptly, at least for a spicebush swallowtail, and the other two are still in their chrysalides, not having changed color in the least. It looks like they may overwinter, although, being outside where the temps will be reasonably warm until November, they might still emerge this year. I had a black swallowtail who stayed in its chrysalis for 18 months!! That was my record, but many of my black swallowtails have overwintered after having been raised early enough in the season that you'd think they wouldn't. This could be tied to the nature of their host plants in my area - the only natural host plant they use here that I know of is mock bishop's weed, which, like dill and fennel, is a cool season plant, emerging in early spring and dying off in the heat of summer. Acutally, my dill and fennel never looks better than it does in February - it starts to decline after that.

So, I don't know the answer, but I just keep all my chrysalides outside in their cages, which have mesh coverings, so they'll be more likely to emerge with spring's new growth and others of its species. If I lived in a cold part of the country, I'd probably cover the cage with some blankets during the worst parts of the winter, though! :)

Sherry

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts