Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpgirl29

New Swallowtails...Need Advice ASAP!

scorpgirl24
12 years ago

Hi All!

Awoke this morning to 1 new butterfly and 1 about to eclose!

Husband set up camera and got it all on film!!

Need to go back outside, as 1 is now out of greenhouse on a sunflower. It was flying in greenhouse, so we transferred it outside. I'm guessing the other one is soon to follow.

Will post video and pics soon!

What should I do now?

I have 2 more chrysalis (pl. ?) that I will keep in greenhouse, now that the net has been removed.

I need some advice! I feel like a nervous new mom!!

Jo

Comments (7)

• scorpgirl24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow!!!
    The first one is still on the flower.
    The second one started flying in the greenhouse. I got him on a stick and as soon as he hit the outside...goodbye!!
    I watched him fly pretty strongly up to the top of an old oak.
    For a first-timer... I did good!!
    Yeah!!
    Also found another chrysalis in the dirt of the pot. It looks completely viable and plump. He's partially in the dirt. I was wondering where that 5th cat went!!

• ladobe
    12 years ago

You did great, thanks for sharing your experience. You're on your way into the wonderous world of Lepidoptera rearing, so the fun is just begining.

Chrysalis or chrysalid as a singular, chrysalides or chrysalises as plural, of a chrysalis as an adjective. Pupa is also often used as a singular, pupae or pupas as plural or pupal as an adjective.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Congratulations!

Sherry

• scorpgirl24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the much-needed advice during this process.
    Butterfly #1 is still not leaving "home". He has been moved to my deck, on the morning glories. I needed to get him away from the bird-feeder.
    Video will be posted as soon as it is edited. There is a great part where my husband surprises him and he is squirted!!
    I thought that was great...hee hee!
    Enjoy!
    Jo
    {{gwi:540335}}
    {{gwi:540336}}
    {{gwi:540337}}
    {{gwi:540338}}
    {{gwi:540339}}
    {{gwi:540340}}
    {{gwi:540341}}

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

I would say that both are males. Males have a wider band of yellow and narrower blue area. Females have more blue and narrower yellow spots above the blue.

If you think the chrysalis is upside down, turn it around.
    It will not harm it to handle it as long as you are careful. I would do it before it starts to turn darker as that is a sign that it is getting ready to eclose and it may be softer to handle.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Your butterflies look great! Congrats on your new "babies". You've done the hard work, enjoy your eclosures and the pleasure of helping to bring such beautiful creature into the world.

As for the one in the dirt, I would bring it out of the dirt, and place it on a soft dry surface next to something it will be able to climb up onto.

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Jo, Congratulations on raising such healthy and beautiful BST's. Doesn't it just give your heart a lift to watch them flutter off to their new life.

One thing to consider is sometimes late summer BST's will overwinter and eclose in the spring. I had this happen to several of mine last season. I removed them from the rearing cage, provided some protection from the weather and left them alone, hanging on their piece of oak branch I'd provided for them. This spring they all eclosed and went happily on their way. We had several nights below 20 degrees, so it is simply amazing how they survive through a cold winter, but they do. :-)

~Mary

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville