Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burlap_gw

swallowtails

burlap
11 years ago

I planted some parsley and fennel specifically to attract swallowtails. It worked! I have collected 11 cats. Now that I have them under observation in captivity, I notice that a couple of them are much darker (more black) than the others. Does this indicated male or female?

Comments (7)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

No, it just means that you've got a few dark form caterpillars, which occur fairly often with black swallowtails. The butterflies that come from these dark form cats will be the same as the others, some males, some females.

Sherry

• burlap
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know....THANKS!

• terrene
    11 years ago

I've raised Black Swallowtails for 3 years, usually a dozen or two each year, and this is the first year I've had the black form. They are quite striking looking!

• fmart322
    11 years ago

I love it when I find a topic where I need answers to.

I also have caterpillars chomping on my parsley. Same type too. They vary in size from about a half inch to about 3 inches. My question is, isn't it late for these guys to be cats? Will they over winter in cacoons ? I also have a few black ones like the other poster does. If someone has a link to a good site, pass it along so I can teach my daughters about them. I don't want girls who are afraid of bugs.

• fmart322
    11 years ago

I love it when I find a topic where I need answers to.

I also have caterpillars chomping on my parsley. Same type too. They vary in size from about a half inch to about 3 inches. My question is, isn't it late for these guys to be cats? Will they over winter in cacoons ? I also have a few black ones like the other poster does. If someone has a link to a good site, pass it along so I can teach my daughters about them. I don't want girls who are afraid of bugs.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Black Swallowtails (BSTs) do overwinter as a chrysalis. Don't bring them into your warm home, tho. They need the natural conditions and winter chill. They will then eclose in spring when nectar plants are available. If you want to see the process, you can put the caterpillars in an enclosure of some kind so they can pupate on sticks or the sides or the ceiling (lid) and just keep in outside on a porch or in an unheated garage.

Teaching your children is an excellent idea. I taught my 10-yr old GD from age 3 or 4 and she loves bugs now. My other GD is 2 and she is learning not to be afraid of roly-polys, flies (we sing the Shoofly song), etc. Next year she will learn more about caterpillars.

Susan

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

I made this picture of the two colorings of BST cats a few years ago -

{{gwi:491338}}

I think they're both very pretty!

Sherry