Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So excited! Found more BST cats!

Posted by sandpapertongue 7a, VA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 15:56

I found one BST way back in June, and I had so much fun watching him become a butterfly.

Then, despite my stalking my dill and parsley on a daily basis, I could not find a single other little cat, nor did I ever see eggs.

But today I found 6 of them! Five were on a carrot plant and the 6th littlest guy was nibbling on a dill that had long gone to seed and looked dead and dry.

I promptly brought them inside and I can't wait to see what they do. I really hope they don't plan to overwinter...it's still early for that right?

Sorry to the upside down picture, can't seem to figure out to fix it. Do you all think the box is big enough to support 6 cats? I have a bigger one for when they are ready to pupate. If this is too small I can move them to that one. I like the clear plastic for when they are small though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So excited! Found more BST cats!

This will be the batch that overwinters as chrysales. I found mine went back and forth between host plants s any problems at all.

o

Congrats on finding more cats! Very exciting!

I have 9 BST chrysalises in the aquarium tank and 9 cats in a container. I was convinced that these 18 would all be over-wintering because it is getting late here, but there is a chrysalis darkening today that is going to eclose tomorrow.

From what I understand, even an earlier season chrysalis can decide to over-winter. It is likely that at least one or more of your cats will over-winter. It took me a couple years, but I figured out a way to do so successfully by putting them in a mesh sleeve that is hung on the side of the house.

o

I agree with Leafhead. Those will emerge next spring. Just have that parsley, fennel, dill and carrots ready, and you'll have another batch to raise. And yes, that container should be big enough for all six cats for as long as you want to keep them in there.

Martha

o

So, as of 10/14, all of my BSTs have eclosed! 8 in total. So great to see them fly away. Fingers crossed for an extended warm spell for these guys!

o

Wow! I'm surprised, but glad you got to see them fly away. Hope they have a chance to get another generation in before the freezes hit. Is there much left around you for nectaring. And do you have host plant material nearby? Any swallowtail around here would find pretty slim pickings.

Martha

o

I hope so too. There isn't too much blooming around. Some crepe myrtle, neighbor has some mums, just random things. I really hope there will be enough for them to nectar on.

I have lots of carrot tops and parsley still, so I've been checking for eggs and cats. But I haven't seen anything so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here