Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillar ID

Posted by dr.liz 7 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 16:02

Any ideas what this is? Maybe some half-grown up sphinx moth? About an inch long and 3/8" wide. You can see the chicken wire behind it for reference. It's on a Lonicera sempervirens, but the plant is pretty much dormant. (I hope it's not dead. It was planted 1 week ago, very small.)
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillar ID

Possibly a Snowberry Clearwing. They host on honeysuckle.

o

Lucky you!! The Clearwing Hummingbird Moths are among my faves.

o

Can they use the Japanese honeysuckle? This little plant has no more leaves.

o

Pretty sure they'll use any kind of honeysuckle. Just move him over.

o

Thank you for the ID. Apparently the hummingbird moths can use a variety of hosts, including cherry and viburnum, both of which I have. I will just move him over to one of those if he is still around this morning. I love those moths, too!
Liz

o

Try the Viburnum first, as they are more closely related to Honeysuckle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here