Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

OT - Roseate Skimmer

MissSherry
11 years ago

Dragonflies and damsel flies are common here, with there being SO many ponds in my area, one directly across the street, another not far behind that, one just to my west, and plenty more within a mile or so. Every fall I occasionally see roseate skimmers, a beautiful, purplish, hot pink dragonfly, but I've never gotten a picture of one. I was out by the front meadow today and saw a pair of them joined in flight. I think they were together as a 'tandem pair' as they call it, but they may have been in the 'copulation wheel'. The mechanics of mating and egg-laying among dragonflies is unique, and I'm not well-educated about it. I'm glad they were mating, so, hopefully, they'll become more common in the future.

Any way, as soon as I got my camera out, they separated and flew away, but one of them returned to light on the grasses in the meadow. When I would get close to it, it'd fly off, so I made some pictures with the zoom on, which made most of them blurry. I got one decent enough picture, however, so I thought I'd share it -

{{gwi:490143}}

Sherry

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner