Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - Roseate Skimmer

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 16:19

Dragonflies and damsel flies are common here, with there being SO many ponds in my area, one directly across the street, another not far behind that, one just to my west, and plenty more within a mile or so. Every fall I occasionally see roseate skimmers, a beautiful, purplish, hot pink dragonfly, but I've never gotten a picture of one. I was out by the front meadow today and saw a pair of them joined in flight. I think they were together as a 'tandem pair' as they call it, but they may have been in the 'copulation wheel'. The mechanics of mating and egg-laying among dragonflies is unique, and I'm not well-educated about it. I'm glad they were mating, so, hopefully, they'll become more common in the future.

Any way, as soon as I got my camera out, they separated and flew away, but one of them returned to light on the grasses in the meadow. When I would get close to it, it'd fly off, so I made some pictures with the zoom on, which made most of them blurry. I got one decent enough picture, however, so I thought I'd share it -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - Roseate Skimmer

What a gorgeous color! Thanks for sharing.
-Eisabeth

o
RE: OT - Roseate Skimmer

They must be quite a sight!

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here