Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Black Swallowtail Cat Growth!

bandjzmom
10 years ago

The little dudes have really grown! We are making progress. :)
Angie

Comments (9)

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are so beautiful!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Cool:-D Mine have just finished up-except one, who's due any day now.
    Keep up the good work and hope these overwinter well for you.

• TreeRoots
    10 years ago

Wow! I can't believe how many there are! I've only ever found a maximum of 7 eggs on my host plants (from any of the butterflies), and 2 were duds. In fact, your one batch here totals up more than I've raised all year.

Anyways, huge congrats, they are beauties!

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Fantastic! They are indeed beautiful, with that beautiful green coloring.

Congrats on raising so many!

Sherry

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Wow, Angie, talk about an infestation! :-D I only have 20 BSTs, so you have me beat by a long shot. Mine are starting to pupate. Of the different kinds of cats that I raise, I think that Black Swallowtails are the prettiest. My very favorite cat though is the Pipevine SwallowtaiI. I love their spikes, love how I can hear them eating, and also love how comical they are. Anyway, congrats on raising so many BSTs!
    Cathy

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hey Angie - you gotta lotta BST cats there!! How exciting!

I've got 9 cats munching away - mostly 4th and 5th instar - they will be finishing up soon.

I've also got one precious Giant Swallowtail cat - he/she did not like being in the same container as the BSTs. I agree that P. polyxenes is a beautiful caterpillar - P. cresphontes, not so much. So far it kinda looks like a little pile of poop.

• Liz
    10 years ago

Looks like a Christmas tree!
    Liz

• hawaiiponder34
    10 years ago

beautiful cats:-) I love the color!

• tracey_nj6
    10 years ago

WOW! I don't know what I'd do if I had that many. I've been hiding parsley plants just so I can feed what I have left and not have to worry about new eggs/cats before it frosts.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals