Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asclepias pod questions

Posted by monkeybelle 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 16:30

My asclepias (well, one of the two that grew from all the seeds I bought) is making some pod-like growths. I am assuming they contain seeds (but if that is not the deal, please let me know!) If they are seed pods, I should be able to harvest them at some point and plant the seeds next year, correct?

Has anyone had any luck at this? How will I know they are ready, what should I do with them over the winter, and is there anything special I should be doing?

Thanks!
Sandy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asclepias pod questions

Hi Sandy;
Welcome to the equally addictive world of seed collecting. I about fell to my knees yesterday when I found local green milkweed (A. hirta) with pods.

Anyway, to answer your question, wait till the pods appear to ripen. They will continue to grow, dry a little, then begin to split to release seed. So, it is best to leave them on the plant till this happens. Sometimes they change color from a bright green to a little brown. Just depends on the plant. The one thing is that there are critters that like to eat young pods including monarch caterpillars. So, if you have any on the plant you may want to protect the pod. Netting that excludes bugs may work. By the first frost the pods should be ripe. Most milkweeds need some period of cold to start sprouting (known as stratification). So you have some options. Check out the winter sowing forum for some great advice on a cheap and easy way to start seeds like this.
Good luck,
Elisabeth

o
RE: Asclepias pod questions

Thanks, Elisabeth, for the great advice. I'm all for collecting seeds from plants I already own. Leaves more money for next year so I can try out some new plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here