Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpolony

Help! Monarchs pupating without silk pad

tpolony
12 years ago

I have 2 Monarchs right now that decided to hang directly from the fine-mesh bridal veil tulle that is at the top of their enclosure, instead of attaching to a silk pad. One of them made a pad, but didn't use it for some reason.

Are they going to be able to turn into a chrysalis without falling? First, they have nothing really securing them well for their twisting phase. Second, the cremaster has nothing to grab onto, unless it lucks out and hits one of the crossbars of the mesh, and I don't know if it would stick to that anyway.

Is there some kind of material that I can put where the cremaster is going to try to attach that it can hook into successfully? Should I try to harvest some of the silk from my other hanging chrysalises (?? plural of chrysalis ??) and place it where the cremaster will go?

I've heard other people say Monarchs can pupate at the bottom of a container. Should I remove them from their hanging position and lie them down in a smoooth container? They won't like it, but if it's for their own good, I'll do it.

I have them in a plastic deli-style container with the center of the lid cut out, with the lid on and placed over a piece of bridal veil tulle, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with here.

Thanks for any advice. I have about 12 hours to figure this out!

Comments (5)

• ericwi
    12 years ago

If the monarch successfully pupates, while hanging from the fabric, you can then strengthen the attachment with a drop of white glue. I am guessing that the monarch cat has actually laid down some silk at the site where it is attached to your tulle fabric, but the silk is hard to see.

• tpolony
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a small amount of silk, but hardly anything. Someone I spoke to today said to put some cotton on top of the place where the cremaster will try to attach, and it should be able to attach to it. So I did that, we'll see what happens.

Thanks.

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

There are all kind of options that forum members have used. Some have used thread, some have rested them in various configurations (using sticks, paper towels, etc. to climb up on), using a pin to hold the little bit of silk left, and various glues. I have used glue dots but find that a low temperature glue gun works best. This is a method that a lot of butterfly houses use. If you are glueing dozens of chrysalides it makes it go fast. You just apply the glue to where you want to stick the chrysalis, then let it cool a little, then stick the cremaster in. Experiment a little and see what works for you. Just remember that the chrysalis is very soft and can rupture easily if handled right after pupation.

Good luck,
    Elisabeth

• terrene
    12 years ago

Last year I had a chrysalis fall about 4 feet from it's silk pad and land on the tile floor. I didn't know if it would still be vaible or not, so I hooked the cremaster onto some thread and taped the thread to the paper towel, and put it into the aquarium tank where most of the butterflies eclose. The thread worked great - unfortunately, the butterfly never eclosed, because of the trauma of the fall. :(

• ericwi
    12 years ago

When I am forced to move and re-attach a chrysalis, I first fill a cup or one pint plastic tub with wrinkled and wadded tissue paper. The tub is positioned under the chrysalis, so if it falls, it lands in the cushioned paper.

Sponsored