Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Gray Hairstreak

MissSherry
10 years ago

I love hairstreaks! They're amusing the way they rub their hindwings together, and their little tails are so cute! This gray hairstreak looks newly emerged. I don't know what host plant they might use here - my field guide says they use a variety of plants including legumes and mallows. This little guy was on some invasive Chinese bush clover, in the legume family -

{{gwi:541451}}

It stood on its head at one point -

{{gwi:541453}}

Sherry

Comments (16)

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Sherry, Such pretty pictures! That reminds me that I haven't seen any of those this year either. When I grew beans in our veggie garden, I'd find their larvae/cats on some of the beans when I'd pick them. Of course, I'd keep them and raise them. I didn't mind sharing the beans with them. :)
    Cathy

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Nice! I am missing the butterflies. Fall is here and their numbers are plummeting. Enjoy seeing everyone's pics.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's wonderful that you've raised a hairstreak, Cathy! I've never raised a single one! My book says they eat the flowering parts of the plant, and, since lespedeza is a legume, and it was hanging around (for a long time) on it, I'll be checking the flowers for possible cats.

I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures, SCG - I'm enjoying making and posting them!

Sherry

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Sherry-

Oh my! I love Hairstreaks as well! They are the most adorable little things! In fact, I just posted a pic of a hairstreak on lespedeza (to i.d. plant). I've seen them laying eggs on this plant- the eastern-tailed blue as well. I have a question on i.d.ing one. I'll post it now.

Nerry

• Liz
    10 years ago

I've never seen a hairstreak. I so enjoyed seeing your pictures!
    Liz

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of a Gray Hairstreak cat that I had raised on beans in 2009...

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

The Gray Hairstreak that is on the bean pupated, and the one beside it was getting ready to pupate..

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Here is an adult Gray Hairstreak nectaring on Butterfly Weed.

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Red Banded

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Nice shots Sherry! I love them too, and I am not seeing them yet this season here.

Cathy, those are some cool caterpillar/chrysalis pics! Love love love. I think that your adult Hairstreak pic looks like it might be the Banded Hairstreak instead of the Gray? I never knew that there were so many different Hairstreak butterflies. We don't have near the variety that you do.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures of the hairstreak cats, Cathy! I'll keep my eyes open for them, but I imagine they're hard to find.

Sherry

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Thanks for pointing out they like beans as a host plant. Great shots as well!

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics all of you! Cathy, how cool that you raised them!

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad that you liked the pics.
    Sherry, They weren't too hard to find on the beans. Just look for the holes. ;-) That's the only thing that I've found them on. I am guessing that they would probably be found on scarlet runner beans. I never got around to planting them this year, but I plan to next year. It was too much of a strain on my back to bend over to pick beans, so I stopped planting them a few years ago. Sadly, the Gray Hairstreaks probably miss them though, and I haven't seen any of the butterflies this year at all.
    Angie, It's a Gray Hairstreak. I'm sure I asked here on the forum when I wasn't sure what kind it was, so that's how I know. :)
    SCG, Get those beans planted! It gives a person a new reason to plant them, huh. ;-)
    BG, I thought it was neat raising them. It doesn't seem like many people do for some reason. Of course, it's been awhile since I have.
    Cathy

• NaturesFolly
    10 years ago

I find them on my Hardy Hibiscus (mallow) they burrow into the flowerbuds. I raised 2 last year but have not seen any this year.

• suzannie41
    10 years ago

I have several grey haristreak cats chomping away on my hyacinth bean vine leaves. I just found out what they were and I think I'll have quite a few of those cute little guys soon.

Sponsored