Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Quick Q and other things

bev2009
12 years ago

I had a black swallowtail eclose today. It is cold and misty out and he doesn't seem too active. I took him out on my hand, but he didn't fly away so I put him back in the hamper. Is it OK to leave him there until tomorrow? Tomorrow is suppose to be sunny and 74 degrees.

On another note...I went to the garden center/farm stand today to buy tomatoes and checked if they had a Spicebush for sale. They didn't, but she ordered me one. We started talking about butterflies and she said she had a caterpillar for me...a BST on her dill plant, probably a fifth instar...and she gave me 2 dill plants for it. While I was checking over the rest of the plants, I found a 2nd instar on the parsley, so she gave me that plant too. Then she walked me back and gave me a milkweed plant full of seeds. I did buy some tomatoes, etc, so it wasn't a bust for her. And she asked if I would come for the openhouse in the spring to talk about butterflies. I said yes, but I am going to check with the Monarch group here in town and see if they would do it as they have everything they need and the expertise I lack. Nice day!

Comments (5)

• terrene
    12 years ago

Bev, I think it would be fine to release your BST today. I don't usually do this, but occasionally keep a butterfly in the aquarium over night and they seem fine, although quite antsy to get out by the next day.

I've got 3 Monarch chrysalises that have turned transparent over the last 24 hours, but today is drizzly and little cool. I put the tank outside last night, so they could get the appropriate cues from nature and hold off on emerging until maybe later today, or even tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer than today.

Sounds like a great day at the nursery! The nursery lady was very nice to give you the plants, and it's also good that they aren't sprayed. When those BSTs pupate, they'll probably be over-wintering with you.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I put the cage in the sun for a bit and you're right, he definitely was ready to go. He landed right on the alyssum. I'm very excited about my first Monarch chrysalis that should elose sometime this weekend.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

'Sounds like you had an exciting day at the nursery, Bev!
    The same thing happened to me early this spring, but I paid for the dill plants - the owner gave me a big discount, though.
    'Glad to hear your about your BST release!

Sherry

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your plants were still viable in the spring...mine were pretty sorry looking. LOL I was hoping to find some eggs on them, but no.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Bev, my dill is a spring and early summer grower, it always peters out by mid-summer. Can't imagine there's much left of it at the nursery by the end of the season.

Sponsored