Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat ID please...

Posted by rsingley z6a NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 18:34

I finally have a host plant with some cats, but it's so late in the season. I added 2 parsley plants to my garden and within a week or two had these little guys. Can anyone ID them for me? If it helps, I've recently seen gulf fritillary's, Tiger Swallowtails, pipevine swallowtails, either black or spicebush swallowtails, a red-spotted purple, a buckeye, and a few monarchs. Yes, after a slow start, it's been a good end to the summer.

Photobucket

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat ID please...

It's probably a black swallowtail.

o

An early instar black swallowtail for sure.
Sherry

o

Thanks... perfect choice for our first cat raising... My boys are going to get a kick out of this.

BTW, I suppose I can just buy parsley at the supermarket when they defoliate the 2 plants right?

o

I wish that was the case, but some parsley at the grocery store may not be safe for them. Would you believe that instead of nice little caterpillars that some farmers use even organic pesticides to rid their plants of these little guys.

o

Hadn't really thought of that... Guess I better start buying up all I can find. I have 10 or so babies to feed.

o

If you have an organic market, that would be your best bet, over those sold at the regular supermarkets. I always thought they didn't use pesticides on herbs, though, but that doesn't stop me from washing them thoroughly before I use them. I just notice that the parsley, dill, and fennel plants sold in the herb sections at nurseries often are sold "with caterpillars" already munching away on them and I assume these are safe.

Congrats on your caterpillars!

Susan

o

Bt-k, the biological pesticide that has been used to control caterpillars for generations, is approved for organic gardeners and farmers. It would not be at all unusual that even organic growers of these herbs use Bt.

Wash and triple rinse anything that you plan on feeding captive cats 'just in case'. Bt strains occur in nature, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here