Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Whoopeeeeeee! Black Swallowtail cats!!!! I believe...

tracey_nj6
16 years ago

I'm floored! I was dilly dallying after work and was removing a spiderweb from one of my windowboxes on the railing of the deck. Below it on the floor I had a windowbox of parsley, 2 plants, in hopes of getting some swallowtail cats. One of the plants is tall and yellow; practically dead. I was going to butcher it a few weeks ago but decided to simply let it go. Well, I freaked out when I saw 2 beautiful cats on the top of it! And I mean freaked! DH couldn't understand the thrill I was experiencing; grrrrr. I immediately put it into my caterpillar cage, especially since I hadn't been able to use it due to my milkweeds being too tall for it! Although the parsley was also too tall for it, I managed to bend it to fit it in, and not have the cats resting against the screen. One was molting, and I may have disturbed it, since it immediately starting squeezing out of the old skin once I started moving the stem as to get a good pic!

So, experts that I so greatly worship, can you tell me a little about rearing these guys, or point me to a knowledgable website? I tried to Google it, but there's not too much out there that'll help me in my hour of need. Thanks for any information you can provide me with ;)

{{gwi:542701}}
{{gwi:542703}}

Comments (16)

• caterwallin
    16 years ago

Woo hoo!!! Congrats, Tracey! I also just got some on um, I think it was Friday. Well, that's when I first saw them anyway, so I hope nothing got to them in the meantime. I managed to lose the teeny tiny ones, and I haven't a clue where they ended up, but I'm sure they dead by now. They should stay put instead of wandering off somewhere. Anyway, I asked the experts and they gave super answers. If you go down further on the main page and click on the post/thread "I should have been paying more attention", that will help you out tremendously. Best of luck! I'm really happy for you.
    Cathy

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks a million Cathy; I'll check it out. I know I should've done a search HERE first. Google is great and all, but I did spend 10 minutes searching before I got frustrated and posted here ;)

• jmcat
    16 years ago

Yes, the post Cathy mentioned has some good info, Though I won't repeat here what I said there.
    -Jmcat

• caterwallin
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Tracey. I printed it out too! lol I thought that was such great information that was given. Yeah, I know what you mean about getting frustrated doing searches. Sometimes I have luck but then again lots of times I feel like I'm going on a wild goose chase.
    Cathy

• DYH
    16 years ago

May I verify what I have so I can keep an accurate journal? It looks the same, but want to have the expert eyes from this forum review it. This cat is on my bronze fennel and I've been assuming Swallowtail -- but, my garden is full of Eastern, Black and Spicebush. I had been thinking Black?

Thanks,
    Cameron
    {{gwi:542705}}

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Yes, Cameron, yours is a black swallowtail, it's just in an earlier instar with the little "spikes" still on it. Congratulations!
    MissSherry

• DYH
    16 years ago

I'm learning so much! I think I'm getting addicted! I keep my camera in my pocket everytime I go in the garden now.

Thanks!
    Cameron

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Cameron, and congrats on the BST! Hope you'll hang around with us, enjoy the fun, and continue to share photos.

Susan

• caterwallin
    16 years ago

Hi Cameron, Welcome to the forum and congrats on the BST cat! I must warn you, if you hang around here, your addiction will only get worse. :-)
    Cathy

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Get worse" is an understatement ;)

• jmcat
    16 years ago

Worse??? What do you mean worse? I don't consider this addiction a bad one, so how can it get worse? Of course, I'm one of the "addicted"! ;)
    -Jmcat

• kimber_07
    16 years ago

lol, i dont know. you folks have me pretty hooked, and yes, my kids are thinking this could be a bad addiction. somewhere in this forum ( i really need to find a system to remember what conversations i have participated in) i mentioned that this was my best year for butterflies. well, today, i was transplanting one of my hibiscus plants, and found a bright green cat on the underside of one of the leaves. before this forum, i didn't even realize this was the season to begin. i need instruction on what to do to keep it alive. i dont have a cat home, its still on the bush, and i am on my way to find some way to identify it. since my first visit to this forum, i have so many plans for my gardens next year!!this could definitley keep me smiling through the winter.

• emmayct
    16 years ago

Tracey, I'm up to about 50 bst cats in all instars. I had a momma bst lay eggs all over my small carrot patch.

I assume they will all overwinter and next spring will be a bst bonanza.

Wow are they growing FAST!

Maryann in CT

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, how upset I am! I can't find one of the cats! He was fat & happy & all, but I saw a gap at the bottom of one door of my screened enclosure. It's gone; it's only a windowbox containing 2 parsley plants; small enough to notice the one must've made a mad dash out of there. I searched around the perimeter, looking for anything resembling a chrysalid; nothing, nada! I screwed the one door closed and now have entry thru the other door, but there's now a gap between the doors. I'm hoping the last remaining BST will stay in the enclosure and pupate without wanting to wander...

• butterflymomok
    16 years ago

Tracey,

BSTs are wanderers. Is there anyway you can put a piece of netting over the plants and the windowbox? I have netted my pot of snapdragons and Buckeyes so they can't wander off. I use tulle and make elastic bands with the round elastic from the fabric department at Walmart. I have four skewers supporting the net so it gives the guys some room to move around and find a place on the net to pupate. Plastic clothes pins around the edge help keep the netting in place.

Sandy

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sandy; I use tulle for my monarch's, which I raise in Ziploc containers. I have plenty left (monarch cat season is definitely done for me here), so I'll either staple it or duct tape it on the outside, so my last one can't get out. It should work...

Sponsored