Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lookee here! Rustic sphinx?

Posted by fighting8r 10 Fort Myers Florid (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 19:31

Found this guy just now climbing up a tree, maybe just eclosed. I believe it to be a rustic sphinx.

We are going to hold him for a bit till he "wakes up" after nightfall, so we can see him moving around and let him go.

He has the most crazy proboscis!!! It looks like spaghetti it is so long and wound up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lookee here! Rustic sphinx?

What a great picture! It looks like one to me - is it huge?
They love moon flowers and other deep throated flowers.
Sherry

o

It's like 2.75" from nose to wingtip. Not the hugest but a pretty good size.

o

I bet te wing spread is a good 4 to 5 inches! Wow, what a beauty. Reminds me of a beautiful brocade dress!

o

Released another of these last week. Had him on some duranta cuttings in the pool cage and he disappeared (presumably) into a large potted plant, and we had all but forgotten about him. Anyway the other day there he was sitting on the screen! They are sooo cool.

o

That is quite a photo! Is duranta a host plant? Thanks for sharing your pics.

Sandy

o

Wow.....What an incredible picture!

o

Yes, I've found them on duranta, although I believe they have a number of hosts. Usually I don't see them till they've eaten so much of the plant that I notice the leaves missing. Which is funny because the cats are like almost 4 inches by then. But well camouflaged.

o

The rustic sphinx will use that long proboscis to get the nectar in long-throated flowers, like moonflowers. I need to plant these again -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I found a caterpillar once on the gardenia bush in my garden. It was very pretty, with purple one of its colors.
Sherry

o

Yes Sherry, I have some good pics of the caterpillar somewhere... they are pretty.

o

This sphinx larvae have a very wide range of host plants. Check out Bill Oehlke's reports of various plants.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Manduca rustica aka Rustic Sphinx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here