Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpolony

Monarch wings: To trim or not to trim?

tpolony
14 years ago

I have a monarch butterfly whose forewings dried curled on the tips. If you look at her straight, they both curl in the same direction.

I was suprised to see that she can fly, and actually quite well. The question is, since she has a long way to fly, should I trim the curled tips off? In the past, a bad wing tip made the difference between being able to fly and not. Although that's not the case here, I can't help thinking that there is going to be additional drag.

Or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Something else to factor in is that her hindwings also have a slight bit of curl, so I thought she might need all the help she can get. Apparently she started moving around the enclosure prematurely (I wasn't supervising!) and she must have brushed against stuff while her wings were still wet.

Thanks for any advice and/or opinions.

Comments (18)

• nebu
    14 years ago

hard judgment call. on one hand, i would never want to cut a wing. but on the other hand, i have seen butterflies with portions of the wing missing, and they manage.

Thing is, I usually see hind wing damage, not much forewing damage.

• tpolony
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've cut wing tips before, and it's often helped. I hate doing it because I feel like I'm defacing the poor thing, but as you noted, they can fly with quite a lot of wing missing. I saw one the other day with more than 50% of a forewing missing and it was doing great!

I forgot to note that the wings curl in the same direction when the wings are CLOSED. So when she's flying with wings open, one wing will curl up, the other will curl down. That must have some weird effect on her flight. I wonder if it would slow her down, or give her less control?

• bananasinohio
    14 years ago

Wing curling can have several causes but the most likely one is poor pupation. If you look closely at some chrysalises they can have small faults that cause the wings to have problems after eclosure. We recently had one that you could see a tentacle, or portion of one,stuck in the pupal skin. This butterfly emerged with very curled wings, to the point it could not fly. I unfortunately had to euthanize that one. You can also repair butterfly wings. You could try adapting that technique to strengthen its wings.

Good luck,
    Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: how to repair a monarch wing

• lindacatherine
    14 years ago

Now that is one cool video!

• tpolony
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Elisabeth. Actually, that video is how I learned about trimming wings, and it's proved very helpful.

I thought I'd point out a very easy variation on fixing a broken wing that I saw demonstrated at a butterfly tag & release program over the weekend.

A couple of butterflies had wings with slight breaks. The taggers used the test stickers that come with the tagging kits -- the orange ones that aren't numbered. They centered the sticker around the break on both sides of the wing -- apparently the butterflies can handle 2 stickers, maybe even 3. And that little girl took off about 300 feet straight up afterward, so it really worked!

This is SO much easier than the complication of holding down the butterfly with a hanger, using contact cement and index card stock, which is both difficut and messy, and very sensitive to the consistency of the cement (if it's too thick, it doesn't work).

I would only use the special tagging stickers, not stuff in the office supply store, as the weight of them and the glue are both designed specifically for butterflies.

• bananasinohio
    14 years ago

I always wonder what the people in Mexico think when they see a polka dotted monarch come by :)!
    -Elisabeth

• tpolony
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I decided not to trim. Another very experienced butterfly lady advised me not to, and when I took a look at the wings and realized how many dipsy-doodles they have, I figured I might upset some delicate balance that allows the girl to fly. She's being released either Sat. or Sun., pending good weather!

• lillydulac
    14 years ago

I agree with Jem, leave them alone. I shudder to think of the countless butterflies that will be tortured due to well intentioned amateur butterfly doctors, esp after viewing that video. Just let nature take its course. You can't force our human emotions onto wildlife. Put them out of their misery instead of tortuing them.

• bananasinohio
    14 years ago

Please try to use words a little more gentle than torture. Some people think raising caterpillars inside are cruel and that we should let nature be outside on its own. Many of us have harmed and killed caterpillars and butterflies by accident as we learned to raise them. So, we have to have some empathy as any newbie starts their butterfly journey. I personally prefer to euthanize if a butterfly comes out with problems. However, the repair is an option for anyone who feels they cannot do this and wants to try something else.

-Elisabeth

• mommy2be
    9 years ago

i have a butterfly that hatched 3 days ago and his wings are baddly curled and his one set of legs is caught up with it. and i have taken his legs out multiple times but he puts them right back. would it kill him if i cut the one wing? i plan on keeping him as a pet because i dont want him to get eaten. keep in mind hes walking on 2 legs on one side and cannot fly at all :(

• mommy2be
    9 years ago

i have a butterfly that hatched 3 days ago and his wings are baddly curled and his one set of legs is caught up with it. and i have taken his legs out multiple times but he puts them right back. would it kill him if i cut the one wing? i plan on keeping him as a pet because i dont want him to get eaten. keep in mind hes walking on 2 legs on one side and cannot fly at all :(

• runmede
    9 years ago

Elizabeth had posted a link in a previous post above. Please watch, it will tell you how to fix the wing.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Fix A Butterfly Wing Video

• Stacy Cameron
    8 years ago

We have new butterfly plants outside to attract butterflies. I just started bringing the caterpillars in when close to chrysalis stage for my kids to watch them. Our second one hatched today while I was at work. His wings are badly curled? Is there a chance they will still uncurl? Or are we stuck like this? I'm worried about the little guy. He is not moving around the butterfly habitat just staying in one spot at the top.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    8 years ago

If they are dried and curled, they will stay that way.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

Unfortunately, if the wings have dried, that's their final shape. On emergence, the most critical time for a butterfly is while its expanding its wings. There is a limited time for this process. After a period of time, the wings harden. If the butterfly is touched or handled during this period, it may interfere with the process resulting in failure of wing formation. Weather and temperature are factors as well.

This may be a case of "survival of the fittest". In nature, there are some failures, usually due to a deficiency or other stroke of bad luck.

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What about the animals that eat the tagged butterflies? Are the tags easily digestible or made of plastic?

Aren't the ones who don't pupae well supposed to be someone else's dinner?

• G. A. Whitney
    3 years ago

The wings just fall to the ground. The insect not the wings are the food.

Sponsored