Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this BF

Posted by mbhoneybee63 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 21:15

First time I have ever seen one of these in my yard...is it a Pipevine or Spicebush Swallowtail?

On a side note, although I just figured out how to attach a photo, how do you attach more than one at a time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this BF

Looks like a pipevine.

Only one photo per posting using the standard form; to post multiple images you have to know the proper HTML code to paste into your message. Otherwise, just keep posting images in follow-up messages.

o

Beautiful! I agree it's a Pipevine Swallowtail. The blue on their lower wings is so pretty when the sun hits it just right.
Do you know what the plant is that it's nectaring on? Some type of verbena maybe?
It only lets you put one photo on there if you use Gardenweb's upload feature but you can reply to your own thread to post another one.

o

Thanks to both of you for the id and the photo info. It is feeding on verbena but it really loved the lantana. It stayed in the yard for a couple of hours that day and showed up for a few days afterwards!

o

Definitely a male pipevine swallowtail - they're unmistakable.

Sherry

o

Plant you some pipevines & they will be in your yard all summer...that's what I did! One of my most favorite BFs!!! Great picture...I usually get a blurred picture because they flit their wings so fast!
Here is a picture I took just recently of a female...
Photobucket
Take care,
Lila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here