Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fallen Chrysalis EMERGANCY

Posted by Cresphontes none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 21:25

Hi, a monarch chrysalis fell it seems to be in good condition except for a little dent What should I do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicholas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fallen Chrysalis EMERGANCY

Shouldn't be a problem I have had that happen as long as no green liquid is coming out

o

Thanks Berger but what should I do, should I leave it on the ground or tape the remaining silk on the top of an enclosure?

Nicholas

o

How far did it fall? I have had a Monarch chrysalide fall about 1 foot onto the shelf of the hutch - and it was okay. However, another time a chrysalis fell 3 feet onto the tile floor, it did not fare so well... :( Hopefully the chrysalis was completely hardened?

Many times I have moved Monarch and swallowtail chrysalises, after hardening for at least 24 hours, and usually use some masking tape to attach the silk to a new surface.

This post was edited by terrene on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 21:54

o

Thanks Terrene I'll do what you said. Thanks a lot.

Nicholas

o

Hope it is okay now? I had that issue a week ago and it was so depressing :-( then I learned that if you put a soft towel below when they turn into "J", just in case if they fall it should not be disastrous. yes, one actually fell into the towel but I left it in a Styrofoam cup in standing or upward position until it turn dark brown, then I knew she was okay, before it ecloses, I put a tape around the top part and tape it on the side of the stryrofoam cup, and yay, it came out okay undamaged:D

o

All is well I hung it securely. Thanks again

Nicholas

o

She hatched today I'm so glad :-)

Nicholas

o

Excellent!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here