Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon74_gw

Monarchs are here!

shannon74
12 years ago

Just had to post that the monarchs have been plentiful here in north texas this week, which is a welcome sight...there have been next to no bf's around this year with the heat and drought.

Comments (3)

• mechelle_m
    12 years ago

Shannon,

I, too am seeing signs of the monarchs: lots of eggs and cats. Although, I have not seen very many butterflies, but they are starting to appear. Had a gulf fritillary come lay a few eggs today. Her wings were severely tattered, but she managed to fly without too much difficulty.

Mechelle

• terrene
    12 years ago

Glad to hear that the Monarchs have shown up for you, although I am worried about how they will fare as they migrate across your drought stricken state. I just got an update from Monarch Watch about the population status (which is not very good) and they are saying that because of drought conditions in TX and northern Mexico, they are expecting it to be very tough for the butterflies. Those that make it to the over-wintering grounds could be in poor condition and have a low fat reserve.

Hope you get some rain soon for all creatures sake!

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

In my yard, the butterfly has landed also. Out checking milkweed this morning, noticed an egg on the largest Mexican Milkweed that I have...then saw more eggs on that and another two milkweeds. Haven't seen the Mama...so, either Queen or Monarch eggs. I have limited milkweed because of repeated attacks by Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetles this year and slow growth what with the high heat and the drought and water restrictions. Only about four plants now that are really large enough to be truly of much use, lucky to have that much. And some small potted plants. Normally, the wild milkweeds are available if needed here, but with the exceptional drought...not likely to be of much help, if any. Will have to try to get some more milkweed at a nursery and hope it's okay. Otherwise, there's a Red Admiral that's been flitting around the last few days...I've seen it on the Stinging Nettle a few times. I put out some fruit today for it.
    Not just the drought and heat here that has left most of Texas a disaster area...the wildfires have scorched many areas of the state. I've done the best I could to help wildlife here with water and food, as much as I can...it's absolutely heartbreaking to see, I can't even tell you, indescribable. Some of the birds and hummingbirds can at least find someone that can provide them with feeders and water. Anyway, we got between 1/4 to 1/2 inch lately with a t-storm this past week. It'll help a little. I've pushed the limits on the water restrictions to keep whatever plants I can alive for the migrating butterflies, hummingbirds...and the other local wildlife.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths