Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Great day in the garden

mboston_gw
12 years ago

About 11 this morning, I went out to change the water in my hummingbird feeders (have my first male Ruby now) and I thought my eyes were fooling me. In amongst the cloud of Polydamas was another black and yellow butterfly - a pretty

Zebra Longwing! This is only the second one I have seen in my garden this summer. I was surprised to find her on this side of the yard - most of my Passifloras are on the other side - except for Suberosa, which is everywhere in my yard as it spreads on its own. Well this lady was determined to find some new growth and she left me some eggs. I'm leaving them on the vine for a couple days so that she will come back to the area to lay more. The Polys were all chasing her, as they do other species, but she hung in there long enough to do the job.

While I was out there, I also saw a male Spicebush, a Giant Swallowtail, several Sulphurs of different types, Monarchs, Frits, and Blues. The numbers of each were more than usual. Maybe because we have had alot of rain this week and today was probably the sunniest it has been in the morning all week.

Even the male hummer came down to feed as soon as I changed the water. He must have been up in the Crape Myrtle tree watching all the activity in the yard.

Here's the ZLW lady.

{{gwi:544532}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH