Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics from today

Posted by wifey2mikey 6b Tulsa (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 22:25

Sandy - is this the wild indigo duskywing?
Photobucket
I think I mostly have the Horace's duskywing, but this one was lighter with spots like you mentioned before... so...

I think this is a red banded hairstreak. I've had two three or four at a time on the garlic chive blooms.
Photobucket

And I've had five monarchs eclose this week... two today. Here is one of them from this morning.
Photobucket

~Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics from today

Laura,

The first picture is a Horace Duskywing. Erynnis horatius has the white spot on the cell. Yours is a female which has a more "mottled" appearance than the male. The second one is definitely a Red Banded Hairstreak or Calycopis cecrops. They really like the Garlic Chives. I have them on mine too.

That's a beautiful male Monarch (Danaus plexippus). I released 8 last week and found more than 20 eggs today. The yard was full of mostly males patrolling and chasing each other away from the Tropical MW. I have a rather large stand of Curassavica since we haven't had many Monarchs this summer. And, so far, the eggs I've found haven't been on that mass of plants, but on other plants throughout the yard. Guess there's been too much protection! One thing I know is that I always use every bit of milkweed I have to feed the larvae that hatch this time of year.

It's exciting to finally see the Monarchs in numbers. I've talked to other people in our area that are also finding eggs. Hope we get a lot to raise and they make it to Mexico. We may be their best hope for nectar along the way.

Sandy

o

I found eggs yesterday and more today so I'm hopeful. :-) I've really been enjoying watching them patrol the yard. So fun!

~Laura

o

Yes! It's our turn to raise the Monarchs. More eggs here today, too.

Sandy

o

Really nice pictures, Laura, especially the Hairstreak!

Bob

o

Thanks for sharing, Laura - they're beautiful!
Sherry

o

Gorgeous photos, Laura! I am seeing Monarchs here now, too. I found 1 egg! Just one, can you imagine? I hope to get more. I am still raising Tobacco Sphinx so I may have my hands full.

What kind of a cage is that you're using?

Susan

o

Susan, it's one my husband built for me. It was our first attempt at it and I'm asking for another one, but we'll modify the design.

~laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here