Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Giant Swollowtail Released

jane__ny
9 years ago

This was released two days ago. Just beautiful!

{{gwi:544983}}

His right tail was broken in the jar.

Jane

Comments (10)

• Beth Willett
    9 years ago

Soooo pretty! So can it fly without the tail? Do they hang around for awhile? I love the blue and orange markings on the back. I have so many questions! If you released it two days ago, do they seem to stay around?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

How does it feel to watch your babies fly away ?:)

• alex928 Z8/LA
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure they can fly without the tail. I've seen butterflies fly just fine with more wing missing than that.

Tail or not, he's gorgeous!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks and I do feel like an 'empty nester.' It's such a thrill to see them fly off. I run down the street trying to follow them but they eventually disappear.

I live in South Florida (Sarasota) and it has been so very hot. We moved here two years ago from NYC. I've always been an avid gardener but growing in Florida is a 'real challenge.'

My neighbor is a Marine Biologist who has a love of butterflies. He got me started with raising them. I've always had gardens with lots of butterflies but never knew about host plants.

Long story short. I grow the gardens, he collects and raises the eggs. We release them together in my garden.

In this terribly hot, dry climate, my gardens are full of butterflies. I hope they are from the eggs we collect. No way to know but I suspect they are.

I asked my neighbor if we could tag them someway. He has suggested someway to put a dot of a bright color on a wing so we could identify the butterfly as one we raised. Haven't done that yet.

Its such a wonderful experience. I love growing the flowers, he loves growing the butterflies.

{{gwi:518434}}

Jane

• alex928 Z8/LA
    9 years ago

When my BST flew away I decided to take a little walk, you know, no reason, not looking for her or anything...

I see I'm not the only one who tries to follow them! I guess it's a little hard to let go. :)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

I was sad when my GST flew away, but it made me happy that he was healthy and on the prowl for food and a mate! The dot is a great idea!
    K

• Beth Willett
    9 years ago

Are you all little old ladies with binoculars and hats with tissues in your bras? Haha just kidding because I'm sure I'll be searching for my young ins too! I'll be an ecstatic proud mama when I see the right one which of course I will know its the one I raised... Seriously I love that caterpillar/garden picture, and your tag team idea Jane!

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

Jane, I'm in Miami and we host for 15+ butterflies. I'm interested in knowing which ones you and your neighbor are raising in Sarasota, I'd love to share seeds with you if you'd like to add more to your collection!

We release butterflies every single day and I love watching them go. It's bittersweet but it makes me happy that they made it and that I'm able to share that moment with them. It's a daily inspiration that speaks volumes for the power of change! :)

I've been teased for being older in spirit by all of my friends. I've been doing this since 2008 at the age of 28. I was inspired by my daughter who felt bad for a monarch with a broken wing that we just couldn't fix. Since then, we've added. And added. And haven't stopped adding. I love going out there every morning and having coffee among my winged friends and thinking I had something to do with their being present in my garden.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the offer beebee! I would love seeds as I'm having trouble keeping Milkweed alive. NOting has gone to seed and I fear I will run out of plants.

I planted some Rue but they are still small after 3 months. I haven't seen any eggs on it.

I will plant anything which would help.

We've been raising Monarchs (but now we have no Milkweed as the Beetles seem to have killed the plants). We get Swallowtails and had two Spicebush.

I am equally thrilled each day watching the butterflies flying around the garden.

Please PM me and we can chat. Thanks again for the offer.

Jane

• woollybear69
    9 years ago

A very beautiful, Giant Swallowtail and flower photo. A masterpiece of beauty and color.