Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeybelle

Buckeye pics (finally!)

monkeybelle
12 years ago

After many weeks of these guys flitting in and out of the yard, and not a single one letting me get anywhere close enough to get a decent picture, this one showed up. (Of course, it wasn't completely cooperative...spent much of his time hanging upside down, with wings closed.)

I've never been able to get close enough to them to see the blue spots!

{{gwi:545020}}

Still upside down. Why wouldn't it be? (I tried rotating the picture, but with my car in the background, it looked a little odd!)

{{gwi:545021}}

...and then just for spite, lets perch on the ugliest leaf in the whole yard!

{{gwi:545022}}

On a serious note, I was so glad that I have anything left after "Irene" and her terrible rain! Hope everyone else made it through!

-Sandy.

Comments (15)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Lovely butterfly. I haven't seen any this year and I couldn't get a photo last year either.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Beautiful Sandy! And I didn't notice the ugly leaf. : )
    I've been trying all summer to get close enough to one to use my macro lens because they're so pretty up close but they're quick.

• monkeybelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! It was really bothering me that I couldn't get a decent picture! You're right, they are so quick and have a tendency to land in awkward spots. I got this guy in the early evening, he must have been tired because he didn't really mind me being so close. Keep trying and good luck!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

My Matrona sedum is starting to bloom and the Buckeyes like that. Autumn Joy is about to bloom and that attracts them too.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures!
    I've got some cats and two chrysalides - 'can't wait for them to emerge!
    Sherry

• monkeybelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay Sherry :)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Buckeyes are on the move right now--it's fall migration. So, we should be seeing more here in the southern states. I went out hiking with hubby on Monday, and we saw dozens of Buckeyes along the path by Lake Bixoma, south of us. I have quite a few in the garden also. And yesterday, saw quite a few on our hike at Oxley Nature Center.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I guess that's why I start finding cats about this time of year every year, Sandy. I think I remember raising them once in the spring or early summer, every other time has been in late summer or fall.
    Sherry

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Of interest maybe... through captive selective breeding over many generations a blue base color Junonia coenia has been produced, and is well on it's way to being set as a viable form. Who says you can't fool Mother Nature? I don't agree with this work or any work done to intentionally mutate a species for the almighty buck. Similar work done to understand what can and why it produces a new species or these freaks is one thing... I've done it for that reason myself and euthanized the results. But to do it for profit I can't agree with. I'm sure there is a long list of "collectors" worldwide who would pay dearly to add them to their "pretty buttefly collections". I don't know these people personally (just who they are), or their rearing practices, but with any kind of luck none of these freaks will escape to corrupt wild populations.
    Just IMO FWIW,
    L.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

These are being sold out of Florida--don't know if the general public can buy them, but they are going into butterfly houses. Thanks to Edith.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Checked out my info above. They are available from Shady Oak BF Farm for Florida residents only according to their FB page.

Monarch Watch breeds Monarchs for pink chrysalides. Don't know what they do with the butterflies after they eclose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Buckeyes

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I saw that a while back. I think it's bizarre to try and change butterflies - who knows what kind of genetic problems that may cause, and for what? I think buckeyes are beautiful just like they are with their little bit of blue!
    {{gwi:487547}}
    I've bought rue from Edith, but I don't think I will any more - other places sell it.
    Sherry

• ladobe
    12 years ago

"Checked out my info above. They are available from Shady Oak BF Farm for Florida residents only according to their FB page."

Yep, that's who and as I said, developed for profit, not only for scientific understanding. Putting them in the hands of FL residents threatens escape/release that will infect local populations.

Anybody who exploits leps for profit is on my hit list, doesn't matter whether it's livestock or adults for "collections". So by default anybody who buys from them, including butterfly houses, are no better... their desires promote the practice and illegal possessions. Shady Oaks is only a small fish in a very big pond full of bigger fish, but eliminating any of them, even the small ones, is a good thing for the leps IMO.

BTW, that's why I broke off all contact with some of my foreign and US collegues that I at one time did rearing/field projects with... they got into the lep business for profit.

• monkeybelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...I had no idea that any of this was going on. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. I actually think the natural form is prettier than the forced blue.

Sherry, that's a great shot! The difference in coloration between yours and mine is interesting, and that's nature doing things on its own. I don't think we should be messing with things "just because we can."

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

I haven't bought from Edith in years, and I don't buy tags from MW anymore. Visiting them last spring was a real eye opener. They do good, but I have a problem with the "fooling Mother Nature".

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living