Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loess_roots

Virginia snakeroot for the Pipevine swallowtail

loess_roots
13 years ago

I've got some Virginia snakeroot (Aristolochia serpentaria) seed from this year's harvest to share with the membership for the price of postage. This is a native host plant for the pipevine swallowtail. It requires shade, rich soil, and moderate moisture. It is cold hardy to Zone 4 and is native as far south as Florida.

Contact me with your mailing address and I'll get a packet of seed sent your way.

Rod A.

Comments (19)

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

Thanks for the offer...I sent you an email.
    I currently have 2 A.tormentosas & lots of little A. fimbriata vines. I would love to have the A. durior or macrophylla but don't know where to get seeds for them.
    Again, I appreaciate you sharing your snakeroot seeds!!!

• seedmoney
    13 years ago

Yes!!! I would love some. Thanks for the offer.

Regards,
    seedmoney

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Anytime you get those roots dug, I'm ready and I'd love a couple of packets of seeds.

For those of you who don't know, Rod also has roots available. They are terrific!

Sandy in OK

• runmede
    13 years ago

I second and third that. The plants I got from Rod have brought in more Pipevine Swallowtails than I've ever had with my A. durior. This year, all that's left of my VA Snakeroot is stems.

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Well, I have just sent in an order for some plants, but you know that I would take some free seed any time at all! Very generous of you Rod! Maybe you can toss some in with my order?~~Angie

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I'd also love a packet of seeds, Rod! Amen to only stems left this year. The PVS's ate everything, including the little seedlings. Also need heads up when roots are ready, Rod, if you can. I planted mine in fall the last time, and they do so well then, putting out their roots during the winter.

Susan

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I'm wondering, those of you who got these seeds, have they sprouted for you? I winter sowed mine in the fall and I have yet to see anything, but I don't know if they are just late to germinate, nor do I know what the seedlings look like, so I can look out for them and pull the weeds I think are sprouting in the jugs.

Karen

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I'd love some seeds! The PVST this year are...well, I've never seen them so numerous in this area! I saw one cruising around this morning doing that thing they do when looking for the host plant. I told her NO, don't you dare...I can't adequately feed the cats I have now! Next year maybe I'll be better prepared!

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Out of one bag of seeds, I have 40 nice plants.

Sandy

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Sandy--Did they take a long time to sprout for you when you planted them?

Karen

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Yes, after I removed them from stratifying in the fridge for 4 months, it took about a month for them to germinate.

Sandy

• tepelus
    13 years ago

It's been a cold spring, so I've been wondering if all they need is for it to be warm and then they'll sprout. We're supposed to be getting more spring-like temperatures this week and a bit less rain. Hopefully the warmer weather will wake those seeds and I'll start seeing some VS sprouts instead of weeds! And maybe my other jugs that have nothing in them will start sprouting too.

Karen

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Karen,

My plants in the garden popped up after everything else did this year. And I still have some little ones continuing to come up. Each plant seems to be on its own time schedule.

You are also in a cooler clime than I am. This has been one of the most difficult plants to get established in the garden--right up there with Asclepias variegata!

Sandy

• Mary Leek
    13 years ago

I need to check my Virginia snakeroot for eggs as one poor tattered little pipevine BF laid lots of eggs on one of the pipevines this morning, the first one I've seen this spring.

Last year the little Virginia snakeroot plants were eaten to the ground and only put forth a few new leaves after that but this spring, here they are, growing nicely again! I think it would take a big patch to feed a few of the baby pipevine BF's.

Mary

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

It would, Mary. I usually take the tiny caterpillars and move them over to the Tomentosa. Someone said about 20 Serpentaria plants to feed one caterpillar!

But, you can't beat the Serpentaria for bringing the females into the yard to lay eggs.

sandy

• loess_roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The seeds are slow to germinate, they generally need a period of wet/humid weather before they show themselves. The tiny seedlings/are miniatures of the large mother plants, so beware when weeding that you don't accidentally mistake them for weeds and pull them out!

So, for those of you trying to germinate the seed, be patient.

I've got two packets of Virginia snakeroot seed left for anyone that wants to give it a try, but I can't vouch for their viability after being in the fridge these many months.

Rod A.

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Rod,

I would love to try my luck with these.

My husband fell in love with the pipevine swallowtail when we were touring Camelot. I would really love to draw them to our garden.

I will email you.

Thanks so much,
    Betty

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Thanks to all who replied. I'll be patient. I moved the milk jugs to a more shadier area since we're finally warming up here and that great gas ball in the sky has finally made an appearance, and didn't want to cook the unsprouted seeds. I have several other native perennial seeds that haven't sprouted yet and will keep them over another winter if they don't sprout this year. I've read that some of them may take two years to germinate.

Karen

• loess_roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The last of the Virginia snakeroot seed has been spoken for. Should have more this coming fall, contact me if you want some at that time.

Rod A.

Sponsored