Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
osmeterium has been extended for 3-4 days??

Posted by ams2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 3:02

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this happen before..i have several gst cats, various instars, one cat's osmetrium has been extended since the cat molted about 3-4 days ago. Constantly extended, has not retracted at all as far as I know, everytime I check, extended! Most of the time, FULLY extended. There isn't any odor at all. Just constantly extended, even while cat eats, crawls around,etc. The osmetrium looks "dry", especially near the tips but the cat seems fine otherwise, just looks like he's angry all the time, lol. This cat still has at least one more molt (I think he is 4th instar but I may be wrong) so hoping after next molt, osmetrium will function normally again. If anyone has experienced this before, I'd appreciate any info, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: osmeterium has been extended for 3-4 days??

Maybe he needs some WD-40? Oops, I was channeling Jeff for a sec there.

Very strange, and I've never seen that before. Maybe the "dry" part you're seeing is actually a tiny piece of skin that stuck to the osmeterium during the molting process????? Can you see it closer if you use a magnifying glass?

Susan

o

Does sound really odd and unusual. I have never seen it before. Poor thing.

o

This happened to one of my last BST cats, maybe at around 4th instar. The osmeterium was always sticking out, not fully extended, but it appeared the poor guy couldn't fully retract it either.

I worried about it, of course, but continued tending to the cat as best as possible. He (or she?) ended up pupating AND eclosing normally. That butterfly ended up being the smallest BST released this year, however, so maybe it did affect it somehow?

o

My choice for things stuck is to spray them with a mister (water). Water loosens many things. I've used a mist of water to help a monarch caterpillar get its face mask off that got stuck when it molted. I've used a mist of water to loosen skin that was stuck around a moth caterpillar's body. The skin needed to come off so the moth could continue eating. I've used a mist of water to carefully pull off skin that was stuck to the tail section of a chrysalis after pupation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here