Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

Coleoptera - Madera Canyon

ladobe
12 years ago

With October here I can almost hear Madera Canyon (AZ) calling me. Madera is a unique canyon in the Santa Rita Mountains about a dozen miles from Green Valley (south of Tucson) that is a magnet for many species of leps, beetles and birds from as far away as South America. With the late season monsoons in past weeks it will be bursting with life right now. Makes for a very good time to be doing Lepidoptera and bird watching all around that area during the day, and running mercury vapor/blacklights and bait traps for both Lepidoptera and Coleoptera all night in the canyon.

You sort of have to be supercharged though to do Madera with almost 24/7 activity going on if you don't want to miss any of it. I used be on the go almost all day and all night for 10-14 days straight when I went there. Got away with it by staying in a cabin at my friends lodge in the canyon where I could set up several lights and bait traps, monitor them until about 1-2 AM then catch a little sleep between species flight times off and on until dawn.

Most folks don't do filed work as intense as I did, or my long time field partner when he was with me. But during the peak times in Madera there are a lot of Lepidopterists, Coleopterists/Entomologists and Ornithologists from around the world. Most of them camp in one of the campgrounds, so at night much of Madera has a soft glow on the massive Alligator Junipers from all the lighting setups being monitored by them. Those times sure makes for meeting a lot of like minded people that soon become friends and research colleagues. A stop at any camp while out doing the rounds to my lights/traps usually got an invite for food and drink, and some deep discussions about the flora and fauna of the canyon, and other locations you find out you have in common with them from other field trips you've both made.

Anyway, I was perusing my Coleoptera SC and the Dynastes granti reminded me about Madera and something to share. Lots of unbelievable "beetles" come to Madera, but D. granti was always one of my favorite species. The three irradescent green scarabs found there are probably the best known Coleoptera from the canyon as they are eagerly sought by Coleopterists doing research on them worldwide.

Larry

Madera - Santa Rita's

{{gwi:545854}}

Cabin

{{gwi:545855}}

Dynastes granti males can be up to about 3" long.

{{gwi:545857}}

These scarabs are about 1-1.25" long. Note on gloriosa... the black stripes are actually gold and shiny as a mirror.

{{gwi:545859}}

Beetle Mania

{{gwi:545861}}

Comments (8)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

The colors in the collection are incredible. When I'm out looking for leps, I see some beautiful coleoptera that I never "noticed" before. When your eyes are open, the world is an absolutely wondrous place. That includes here in our own backyard. I can understand why people collect, much more stunning than jewelry or some examples of "art".

And, now I have another place I'd like to see. ; )

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

This is the first time you've written about a place I already know about, Larry. Madera Canyon is known all over for the great variety of hummingbirds that congregate there - it's a hummer-lover's paradise. I didn't know it had so many beautiful beetles, but I guess it figures. It's long been a place I'd love to visit - the hummingbirds come in a wide variety of stunning iridescent colors.
    And you're right, Sandy, if you open your eyes to what's around you, you'll be pleasantly surprised. We have a lot of interesting beetles here in some beautiful colors. I haven't photographed most of them, because I didn't know if people would be interested in them or not. We have some beautiful green ones, blue ones, big black ones, etc., but I suppose my favorite are these rainbow beetles - I think they like to push dung around, which there's plenty of here, what with all the cows, horses, dogs, etc. -
    {{gwi:498353}}
    While looking for the picture of the rainbow beetle, I found this picture I made of a pretty blue bug - 'anybody know if this is a beetle or maybe just a pretty stink bug?
    {{gwi:486844}}
    Sherry

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I love all the pictures! Who needs cable? Real life is so much more fascinating. I had company coming for dinner last night and my son called me outside to see the biggest cat he had ever seen. I was in the middle of making gravy, my guests were literally driving up the drive, but I ran out with camera in hand. It was dark, so the picture is not as good as it could have been. If I hadn't had company coming, I would have rushed in and asked you all what it was and what I could do with him. However, common sense prevailed...I did not want lumpy gravy...I have a reputation to uphold. LOL

{{gwi:545864}}

He called me out two weeks ago for this leopard moth.

{{gwi:545867}}

• ladobe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandy,
    I agree. Typically most folks can't see the forest for the trees. A favorite pastime has always been to take a break from whatever I am doing in the outdoors, sit quietly and just watch nature unfold around me. It's amazing how much you see and hear that you've missed while engaged doing other things, and the longer you sit the more you'll discover. In part why I always get a chuckle when somebody says how desolate and lifeless a desert is. Might appear that way doing 75 down the highway, but in reality it is the most diverse habitats on earth if you'd take the time to sit and watch and let it unfold for you.

Sherry,
    I've written about Madera Canyon and other S-SE AZ top locations many times on this forum, including about the hummingbirds, so I guess you just missed them. No doubt Madera is a hummingbird heaven with 14-15 species visiting from as far away as South America (same as Ramsey Canyon farther SE, but Madera gets dozens more species of birds than Ramsey does. Box, Sycamore, Pena Blanca, Sawmill, and Garden Canyons, and Patagonia-Sonoita Creek are just a few of the other places in the area well worth a visit.

Your pretty blue "bug" is not of the order Coleoptera, but rather a Hemiptera, or the so called true bugs, and in the superfamily Pentatomoidea (and probably the Pentatomidae or maybe Acanthosomatidae family). But with the 100's of genera and 1000's of species in those families, I wouldn't even try to determine the one in your picture without all my "bug" books (buried in storage someplace).

Larry

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

You're right, Larry, if you posted about Madera Canyon in the past, I missed it.
    Sherry

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Bev;
    I couldn't tell. Were you aware that the giant caterpillar was the giant moth caterpillar?
    -Elisabeth

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Elisabeth, I had no idea what the cat was. By "giant moth" do you mean the Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe scribonia)? How funny that my son found the cat and the moth. I do have some of the host plants, lilac, basil, dandelions and sunflowers. I saw the cat on the siding again last night, but had no idea what it needed to pupate so I left it alone. I've just read up on it, so if I see it again, I will put it in the hamper on the porch. I would assume at this point, it would overwinter. Thanks for the help!

• ladobe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev,
    This late in the season Hypercompe scribonia larva normallty is about ready to eating and find a place to overwinter. They will however come back out on warm days and munch a little if a host is available until winter sets in hard.
    Larry

Sponsored