Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillar ID

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 7:28

I can't decide what this is - Tiger moth of sorts, or something else entirely. The gold spots are throwing me off. Help!!!!!

Found eating Lantana blooms.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillar ID

Here's another showing that he is more black fuzzy than just gold spots.

Susan

o

Notice the "tufts" of hair in this photo. Handsome fellow!

Susan

o

View from the top.

Susan

o

I'm bumping this up because I'm afraid some folks may think it as already been answered. I'm sure at least MissSherry or Elisabeth know what moth belongs to this caterpillar.

Susan

o

Oh I love a challenge! Right now I am wrestling with False Boneset. If you want a real head scratcher, look that up!

Anyhow, my gut is telling me Fall Webworm (Hyphantria cuea). These guys are so variable. Also, depending on the angle the picture is taken at, it can look different. Look at some pictures on the web like Bugguide. Some look close to your guy/gal some completely different. One common characteristic is the very long hairs. Another possibility is the salt marsh moth(Estigmene acrea)but I think the hairs, while long, are not quite as long as on a fall webworm.

Any other guesses? Miss Sherry will get it in one!

-Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugguide Fall Webworm

o

That's the only thing I know of that it could be - it must have separated from its 'web mates' and gone to your lantana, Susan.
Here's ?another picture on Bug Guide, I think.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Webworm

o

Yep - you're both as right as rain! I was thinking perhaps it was a fall webworm, but since it was segregated from the "group", I had doubts. One new thing I learned is that these guys are considered Tiger Moths in the same family anyway. Some of the adults look very close to a Salt Marsh moth.

Altho considered pests for the damage they do to trees, I think the cats are pretty and the adults as well. Okay, now everyone can beat and torture me. lol!

Thanks so much for your help on this! He was still out there on the Lantana today eating away. Our temps didn't get out of the high 50s, and the wind was soooooo cold.

Susan

o

I love these posts, no matter what the bug. It keeps me on my toes. I can only spend so much time in the field as other duties call. So, looking at posts of bugs, be it exotic or common garden pest help me remember. Also, I had never seen the adult. I don't know why. I just assumed it was another brown moth. They are gorgeous. So, I learned something new too!
Cheers,
Elisabeth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here