Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Caterpillar ID

susanlynne48
11 years ago

I can't decide what this is - Tiger moth of sorts, or something else entirely. The gold spots are throwing me off. Help!!!!!

Found eating Lantana blooms.

Susan

Comments (8)

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another showing that he is more black fuzzy than just gold spots.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Notice the "tufts" of hair in this photo. Handsome fellow!

Susan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View from the top.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm bumping this up because I'm afraid some folks may think it as already been answered. I'm sure at least MissSherry or Elisabeth know what moth belongs to this caterpillar.

Susan

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

Oh I love a challenge! Right now I am wrestling with False Boneset. If you want a real head scratcher, look that up!

Anyhow, my gut is telling me Fall Webworm (Hyphantria cuea). These guys are so variable. Also, depending on the angle the picture is taken at, it can look different. Look at some pictures on the web like Bugguide. Some look close to your guy/gal some completely different. One common characteristic is the very long hairs. Another possibility is the salt marsh moth(Estigmene acrea)but I think the hairs, while long, are not quite as long as on a fall webworm.

Any other guesses? Miss Sherry will get it in one!

-Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugguide Fall Webworm

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

That's the only thing I know of that it could be - it must have separated from its 'web mates' and gone to your lantana, Susan.
    Here's ?another picture on Bug Guide, I think.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Webworm

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep - you're both as right as rain! I was thinking perhaps it was a fall webworm, but since it was segregated from the "group", I had doubts. One new thing I learned is that these guys are considered Tiger Moths in the same family anyway. Some of the adults look very close to a Salt Marsh moth.

Altho considered pests for the damage they do to trees, I think the cats are pretty and the adults as well. Okay, now everyone can beat and torture me. lol!

Thanks so much for your help on this! He was still out there on the Lantana today eating away. Our temps didn't get out of the high 50s, and the wind was soooooo cold.

Susan

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

I love these posts, no matter what the bug. It keeps me on my toes. I can only spend so much time in the field as other duties call. So, looking at posts of bugs, be it exotic or common garden pest help me remember. Also, I had never seen the adult. I don't know why. I just assumed it was another brown moth. They are gorgeous. So, I learned something new too!
    Cheers,
    Elisabeth

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area