Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Else Donating Milkweed seed?

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 7:35

Journey North and Monarch Watch both are working to re-establish milkweed to preserve the Monarch migration from Mexico to the northern parts of North America. They need significant quantities of milkweed seeds, preferably collected from the regions that they want to replant them. Some will be used to grow plugs that individuals or groups can purchase and plant. Some will be put into native seed mixes for direct planting. They will accept both clean, dry seeds, or dry pods. Just make sure there are no milkweed bugs hiding out in the stash. I think they will even reimburse you for postage. I haven't found an address, yet, but it sent an email and will report back here when I have that information. Make sure you know the species and the county it was collected in. Thanks for reading!

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Else Donating Milkweed seed?

I have a whole bag of syriaca and some tuberosa I can donate; it's the least I can do now that the season is pretty much over for me...
All seeds were collected in Dane Co., WI.

o

Ok, I got more details. Apparently, only Monarch Watch is taking seed donations. Their address is:

Monarch Watch
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045-7534

If anyone needs more information about them, I would recommend visiting their site.

Martha

o

Thank you:)
I'll start cleaning and processing seed to mail today.

o

Are they only accepting native milkweed? Will they take curassavica?

o

I found the info below on their site.
Seems like a limited list of native species. I grow one of the 3 native species listed for my region. The other milkweed species I grow aren't listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bring Back the Monarchs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here