Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcronin_gw

The Karen Cronin Memorial (Butterfly) Garden

mcronin
12 years ago

Thought you might be interested in the continuing story of the love that this special community continues to give to Karen. Her mother, sister and I took the community center up on their offer to hold her memorial service there since we expected about 400 people and she had done much of her volunteer work there. The library directors asked me if I would like to develop a memorial garden for Karen in front of the library and I jumped at the offer. Here's what happened about 4 months later.

I have just returned from the dedication of the Karen Cronin Memorial Garden and want to attempt to describe this moving ceremony. The photographer promised to send me a few pictures that I can forward and the Director of the Meadowbrook Foundation, Mike Hemphill, videotaped the ceremony and will attempt to produce a video that I can share with you. For now, words will have to do. The parking lot in front of the Library was blocked off with potted plants and there were plants around the reception area and 6 big flower arrangements , loads of food and drink and 4 huge huge pictures of Karen in the reception room. Outside was the bench with the words Karen Cronin Memorial Garden cut into the back, the plaque with the same words and "The Aloha Spirit", and, of course, the garden with about 175 plants. MY SPECIAL THANKS TO BOB ANDERSON WHO CONTRIBUTED OVER 1/2 THE PLANTS IN THIS GARDEN FROM HIS BUTTERFLY AND BEE GARDEN IN MARYLAND. A program with information about the program, donors to the Karen Cronin Garden Maintenance Fund and three pictures of Karen was distributed to the 70 people attending. The Director of the library system, a close friend of Karen's and I gave short talks and two members of the Board of Supervisors presented me with a framed "Resolution of Commemoration for Karen Cronin" signed by all 7 members of the Montgomery County Board of Supervisors. A copy of this resolution will hang in the Meadowbrook Library. Linda Spivey took pictures, made the invitation that I sent to most of you, and made a beautiful large montage of pictures of Karen that was placed near the podium. I am so touched by the love that this special community continues to show Karen and certain that this Memorial Garden is the kind of memorial that Karen would most appreciate. It will give back to the community she loved so much and to which she gave so much. As the Director of the Meadowbrook Foundation, Mike Hemphill wrote about Karen "THAT KIND OF LOVE NEVER DIES."

mike

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm