Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Passiflora incarnata - saving seeds

susanlynne48
12 years ago

I have a few fruit on my Passiflora incarnata. From reading about it, the seed is covered with a gelatinois fluid, and I am wondering what the best will be to extract the seeds. I know also that they are best planted fresh.

Anyone tried this?

Susan

Comments (8)

• seedmoney
    12 years ago

I 've had success by squishing the overly ripe fruit in a wire mesh strainer/colander and then rinsing the seeds (still in strainer) with water from a garden hose. I "push" the seeds against the mesh to abrade them slightly. Definitely a messy outside job--- good time give the dog a bath... :-0

• MissButterfly
    12 years ago

I've done it several ways, Susan. Sometimes I plant them directly in the soil, and sometimes I start them in pots, but I always leave the acidic, gelatinous stuff on them, since I figure that assists in the natural stratification of the seed. Some people wash them and then put them in orange juice for a period of time, so you get my point.
    The germination rate has been low for me. Out of about ?30 I planted outside in the soil, only 5 came up. Of course, all it takes is one P. incarnata seedling, because of the way they spread. Of the ones I planted in my garden, only 3 came up, but then I only planted about 10.
    I've also planted some that came from 'Incense' in pots. They had to have been pollinated by one of the nearby P. incarnatas, one of which is the white form, since 'Incense' is sterile, no pollen. They're growing in containers, can't wait for them to bloom!
    Sherry

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

This year I am experimenting with using the pulp of the Maypops. My last trip to Laos, I was introduced to Passionfruit cupcakes and syrup. Oh my goodness!! A naturalist friend said that you could eat the pulp from incarnata. This year, the fruit is prolific, and, what I have sampled is sweet and tart. I made my first batch of cupcakes last week--needed more pulp.

But, I'm developing a fondness for just sucking the gelatinous substance off of the seeds. It is really good for you.

For those of you reading this, the Maypops must be allowed to fall from the vine. When you open the fruit, you will see a mass of gelatinous-covered seeds--not unlike pomegranate seeds. Some people eat seeds and all--it won't hurt you.

I've enclosed a link to the health benefits of P Incarnata.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of passion fruit

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Susan,

I just let my fruit dry on the vines last fall, then broke the seed pod in half and planted half a pod, with the seed still inside, in a nursery pot with good potting soil. Watered it, put it in the greenhouse to overwinter, then set it outside this spring. I got seven plants from doing it that way. Last year was my first year growing the Maypop vine so the whole thing is new to me. I didn't even know if the seed was mature. In the past, I'd tried other ways of planting cleaned seed that I had purchased and never gotten anything to germinate. Finally purchased a Maypop vine, which I grow in a big above ground pot. I have quite a few fruits this year but they're still green in color. Are your pods a different color?

Of course, if you're wanting to clean the seed so you can share with other gardeners, then my way wouldn't work but wanted to pass along what I did to finally get some seed to germinate. I didn't try planting single seed from this dried pod (should have as an experiment) so that may have worked equally well.

I've never tried to clean the seed so will let other folks help with that question.

Mary

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions!

Seedmoney - I kinda figured it would be a messy job, lol!

Sherry, I had read that seed germination benefited from an acidic soak, but if leaving the pulp on does the trick, that works for me, too!

Sandy, uh hum.....(clearing throat in a not so subtle way), my birthday is coming up.........uh hum......looks like I could use a boatload of those of those cupcakes, er...I mean, fruits!

The fruits are still small and green, so I will wait until they ripen. I have so many flowers! It flowered earlier in the year off and on, few flowers, but last month it began to bloom like crazy. Even the Monarchs were nectaring on the blooms.

Thanks for everyone's contribution!

Susan

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Maybe I'm just impatient but it seems like the fruit takes a long time to mature. Sometimes frost will get them before they're done here. The seeds should be black if you waited long enough. When I planted mine, I broke one open, let it dry, then winter sowed the seeds. This was a long time ago but I don't remember removing the pulp.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I wondered about that, Christie - whether the seed would mature before a freeze. I run into problems with that issue with various plants if I'm not careful enough to let the seed set early enough.

Sometimes, though, you just don't have a choice. I've got a number of pods on my Tropical Milkweed, and I'm crossing my fingers that it will ripen in time. We are supposed to be in store for a warmer than normal fall here, and in that case, I hope so. I have tons and tons of Verbesina enceliodes (Golden Crownbeard) seed this year. I just keep pulling off the seed pods so it'll keep blooming well. My Flame Acanthus is just now setting seed, too, so another case of "wait and see". I don't know how quickly the seed matures. I had hoped to have some seed to offer. In fact, I need to turn that into another post.

Susan

• HU-649834938
    last year

I'm trying an experiment and making vinegar from the maypop pulp. Yesterday, I strained the seeds out and am wondering if it would be good to toast or roast the seeds and then use them for snacking? Any thoughts about this?