Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you prepare your A incarnata MW for winter?

Posted by mary_littlerockar 7b Central Arkansas (mleek@sbcglobal.net) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 10:49

Should I cut the plant stalks back now or wait until spring?

The reason I ask is because I cut one plant back as it looked like it was preparing for fall. The leaves had been completely eaten and the stalks were turning yellow. I noticed a small hole in the center of the cut stalk, which could allow water to seep in. I can put something over the top of this one plant stalk to try and keep water out if you believe this is likely to damage the roots during the winter.

This is my first winter with these plants where they've had mature growth during the summer. Last fall they were just little things and I left them alone. This year they're standing about 4.5 to 5 ft.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you prepare your A incarnata MW for winter?

Mary,

I don't do anything to prepare the A incarnata for the winter. I just leave it be. In the spring, I will cut back the dead wood as the new growth appears. My older plants are not doing so good this year, so I will probably replace them next spring. The plants seems to lose vigor after several years.

Sandy

o
RE: How do you prepare your A incarnata MW for winter?

Thank you, Sandy. I will leave the rest of the stalks alone until spring growth. To be safe, I think I'll also cap the stalk already cut, so winter moisture won't drain down into the root ball via the little hole in the stalk.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here