Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skipper id needed

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 11:55

Greetings,
Fingers crossed that this is a Eufala skipper. What is the group consensus? Posed here on Rose Vervain, Verbena hastata 'Rosea'. I live ten miles from the Great Dismal Swamp on the Outer Banks of Carolina. This pic was snapped in August. Thanks for looking. Here is another link if you want an extremely large photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/seedmoney/4930332962/in/set-72157624656982755/

Regards,
seedmoney

Here is a link that might be useful: Eufala Skipper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skipper id needed

My gut feeling is that this is a tawny edge skipper, Polites themistocles. It could also be a cross-line, Polites origenes, but I am going with my gut. If you look at Will Cook's site he has some good pictures of the Eufala. To me they look like Swarthys (or Swarthies?) with spots on the forwing.

But I leave the final judgement to the better experts...

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Cook's Eufala

o
RE: Skipper id needed

I think what you have is a Crossline Skipper, Polites origenes female. I am including a link to a page that has several pictures of Crosslines. I feel like there isn't the variation in color on the two wings that the Tawny has. Also, most Tawnys do not have the hindwing dots, but are plain. To really be able to tell the difference between the two, you need a dorsal shot showing the stigma. Also, size is important, as Crosslines are bigger than Tawnys.

HTH,

Sandy.

BTW, Elizabeth, the Eufala does look a lot like the Swarthy in pictures. But when you see them, the Eufala has a sheen that the Swarthy doesn't have. It also doesn't have the lighter colored veins. This is the time of the year to spot Eufalas. I usually get them on my Aster oblongifolius--which still hasn't bloomed this year. Normally I have blooms in late August. The plant is loaded, but the flowers haven't opened yet. :<(

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossline Skipper images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here