Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No eggs on cassia alata- why???

Posted by siam_cannas 13 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 11:58

Hi everyone,
Ive got a small cassia alata plant growing in my garden, in a semi shaded area for about 1 year now. Ive seen different types of sulphurs passing through my garden sometimes, but ive never seen any cats or eggs on my cassia alata. why? Do sulphurs only lays eggs in sunny spots?
thanks for any help...

Siam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No eggs on cassia alata- why???

Siam, I don't know if sun or shade makes a difference, but I've planted C. alata in the past, and the sulphurs ignored it. So when it didn't come back the next spring from the roots, I didn't replant it.
The Cassia/Senna sulphurs here like Christmas cassia/C. bicapsularis, and they especially love C. obtusifolia/sicklepod. C. obtusifolia is a weed here, grows in disturbed roadside areas and around pastures. I've planted it in my garden in the past and fertilized it, and it grows bigger than the 2'-3' size it grows to roadside. Since it's from Argentina and is so prolific, it probably grows as a weed in Trinidad and Tobago.
'Sorry you aren't getting any eggs!
Sherry

o

Thanks miss Sherry,
i'll try another cassia then. Ive been wondering if i had it in the wrong place lol
Siam.

o

Last year was the first time for me to grow S. alata & I had Orange Barred sulphur eggs & cats...this year...nada! But it was November before I saw OBS's last year.
I haven't seen a single sulphur since early spring!
I have Sicklepod as well this year & nothing has touched it, yet!

o

• Posted by four 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 16:39

Because it produces ant juice at leaf stem junctions with stalk, and the ants do not content themselves with only the juice.

o

Four, good observation. Many if not all Cassias produce nectar from extrafloral (outside the flowers) nectaries. They are small bud looking structures on the stem. This attracts ants, which in turn protects the plants. I watch the ants on my Sennas (which have them too)and know that if I want to collect eggs, it is a race to beat them. I am not sure how butterfly eggs survive them because I usually find a caterpillar or two later. The relationship between the plants and ants is really interesting and is millions of years old. The great number of Sennas and Cassias is thought to be due to this relationship allowing so many of the different species of plants to survive. Other plants have them too including peaches and passionvine, though they may be located in other parts of the plant.

Interestingly, if you look very closely at a sulphur caterpillar, it is very bristly. Each bristle (or seta) looks like it has a drop of liquid at the end. The sulphurs produce chemicals that ward off ants. Most people when they start raising butterflies worry about birds. I worry about ants. My money is on them as the most efficient killer of butterflies (granted they are eggs and larva and don't even make it to adulthood).

Elisabeth

o

"relationship between the plants and ants.... allowing... plants to survive.... including... passionvine"

Passionvines (P. incarnata, var Incense) are what I grow in abundance. Ants ignore them. The behavior of Zebra Long Wing larvae is to strip them. Gulf Fritillary larvae, which usually only Swiss-cheese the leaves, strip by means of iterative Swiss-cheesing when no other passionvines are nearby.

o

• Posted by four 9B (near 9a) (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 10:58

> Posted by bananasinohio
> I watch the ants on my Sennas

Elisabeth, perchance do you have species alata?
If so, then I will ask further

o

You might want to try Partridge Pea - it does well in Missouri and attracts many Sulphurs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here