Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Virginia Trip

MissSherry
11 years ago

We had a great trip to see the home of my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Arthur Allen of Surry County, VA, built in the 1660's - he died not long after building it. It was originally known simply as Arthur Allen's brick house, later known as Bacon's Castle, since Nathaniel Bacon used it as a fortification during Bacon's Rebellion.

The garden was skimpy, with only a few plants, but researching them was very interesting! I found what looked like some type of celosia growing there. After looking it up, I believe it to be Amaranthus cruentus, which was, according to my information, a substitute for spinach, and the seeds could also be used as a grain crop. Here are two pictures -

{{gwi:546993}}

{{gwi:546996}}

They also ate the leaves of Acanthus mollis/bear's breeches. Is that what this plant is?

{{gwi:546998}}

This plant needed water, but it had some seed pods -

{{gwi:547000}}

The tour guide said that they were desperate for fresh greens to eat back then, and I assume they grew these plants, because spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, etc. are cool season plants and would die back in the summer. They didn't have a grocery store where they could buy more desirable leafy greens! :)

The only butterflies I saw here were some sulphurs, probably clouded or orange sulphurs, but they flitted by so quickly, I couldn't be sure.

I have more pictures, but I'll post them separately to keep this thread from being too picture heavy.

Sherry

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm