Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virginia Trip

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 12:55

We had a great trip to see the home of my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Arthur Allen of Surry County, VA, built in the 1660's - he died not long after building it. It was originally known simply as Arthur Allen's brick house, later known as Bacon's Castle, since Nathaniel Bacon used it as a fortification during Bacon's Rebellion.

The garden was skimpy, with only a few plants, but researching them was very interesting! I found what looked like some type of celosia growing there. After looking it up, I believe it to be Amaranthus cruentus, which was, according to my information, a substitute for spinach, and the seeds could also be used as a grain crop. Here are two pictures -

They also ate the leaves of Acanthus mollis/bear's breeches. Is that what this plant is?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This plant needed water, but it had some seed pods -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The tour guide said that they were desperate for fresh greens to eat back then, and I assume they grew these plants, because spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, etc. are cool season plants and would die back in the summer. They didn't have a grocery store where they could buy more desirable leafy greens! :)

The only butterflies I saw here were some sulphurs, probably clouded or orange sulphurs, but they flitted by so quickly, I couldn't be sure.

I have more pictures, but I'll post them separately to keep this thread from being too picture heavy.

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virginia Trip

Sherry,
Is the building still standing? Could we see a picture of that? I know it's off topic, but there's not much going on butterfly-related for many of us, since the weather is cooling down. If you want to adhere strictly to the rules, you could post on the conversations part of this forum. I love history, and it's even more fun when it includes "real" people. I bet you had a great trip.

Martha

o
RE: Virginia Trip

I posted this, Martha, because Susan wanted to know what was planted in the garden - it was supposed to be what would have been planted in the 1660s. Susan hasn't posted, though - 'hope she's well.
Yes, the house is still standing and is owned by Preservation Virginia. We really enjoyed touring it!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacon's Castle/Allen's Brick House

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here