Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillar ID Needed

Posted by shannon74 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 13:03

Hi everyone

Just found a tiny cat on my kids' playset, about 1/4 inch long, green with orange/red spikes all along both sides of its back. The playset is directly under a wateroak tree, not sure if he fell off it.

I cannot figure out how to post a picture! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillar ID Needed

There is a not very informative FAQ on posting pictures here. Most members here probably use PhotoBucket to host their pictures. Some of us have our own servers to host on and just use the easy "tags" to post them here.

But without location data (especially), a picture or other supporting data...

Here is a link that might be useful: PhotoBucket

o

I was just gonna ask if you could include your location. Do use caution because it could be one of the urticating caterpillars (stinging).

Susan

o

Yep I am pretty sure he is a stinger, very fuzzy and spikey. he is so small right now that it is hard to tell what he is going to look like, but he is happily chomping away on water oak leaves now and pooping up a storm :-) I am in north central texas

o

Spiny oak slug, most likely. They do sting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here