Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickinla_gw

Milkweed ID?

rickinla
11 years ago

I bought this milkweed from a local nursery but don't know which type it is. Would someone mind giving me a proper ID?

Comments (11)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

It looks like the yellow-flowered version of Asclepas curassavica/Mexican milkweed/tropical milkweed/blood flower. The monarchs use it just like they do the regular red and yellow flowered types, makes no difference.

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bummer, I wa hoping it would come back on it's own next year.

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Most of my A. curassavicas come back each year from the root. They are in raised beds, and if they were down in the ground they might not, since there are many non-native plants that can't take having their roots wet all winter. I plan to mulch mine good this year, because last year we had a mild winter, the A. curassavicas made new growth, and then we had a late freeze, mild, but it killed back the new growth, and some of the plants didn't come back at all. Maybe I was too impatient, and they would have come back in time, but I bought some new plants to replace them - there's a local nursery that doesn't charge much for them.

Just mulch yours good until spring gets here, then pull the mulch back so the warm spring sun can stimulate them to sprout. If a late freeze is predicted, mulch them thickly with leaves - I sure plan to do that.

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine are at ground level and there is a lot of ground moisture here. Should I dig them and keep them in pots in a protected area? I kept my Elephant Ears going like that this past winter, maybe it will work for the milkweed.

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

I can't say for sure, because mine have never been at ground level, but if I were you, I'd dig them up. Other than swamp milkweed and A. lanceolata, milkweeds need good drainage.

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that will be the plan then. They'll spend the winter under a shelter surrounded by plastic.

• terrene
    11 years ago

There are posters on the winter-sowing forum who have successfully overwintered A. curassavica in the garage or basement.

I am thinking about digging up a few of mine and trying that. A. curassavica is SO easy to start from seed, but our season is so short that the seed pods don't usually have time to mature. If I overwinter a few, they can get an earlier start in the spring.

Last winter I did successfully over-winter 2 Salvia Black & Blues in the garage, another tender perennial. It was easier than I thought and they grew HUGE this summer.

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

Hmmm...good idea. I have a few that are tiny as they were planted late. I could try bringing them inside and see how they do. My guest room is going to be uninhabitable if I keep this up.
    -Elisabeth

• rickinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My milkweed is almost defoliated from the 15+ cats that showed up a couple of weeks ago. When I carried some cats to my sister-in-law's yesterday, I noticed her milkweed looks exactly like mine; and hers over-wintered in the ground and most of hers was collected close to her house. So, I may see if it will come back and start some seeds for a backup plan.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

Asclepias curassavica is "iffy" to come back here just west of DFW! It has a better chance if I remember to mulch it well!
    I have overwintered plants in pots in the garage with success.
    It also is very easy to start new plants from cuttings!!! I take the cuttings I have used for cat food(pictured before & after) & recut the ends...use some rooting hormone, put in good planting soil & keep moist until the roots form & new plants are started easily. That way I leave the established roots in the ground in case we have a mild winter.
    I will also scatter seeds early spring where I want plants for the summer. This year...my plants are all 3-6 feet tall!
    Hope this helps!

• nel.nucifera
    11 years ago

Mine look the same as those. Mine is 'apollo yellow" a. curassavica.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?