Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

A little activity

ladobe
12 years ago

It's down to high to mid 70's now but with still warm enough nights for my shirt/shorts thing, no wind and beautiful blue sky sunshine. Like being in Hawaii without the trade winds and short daily rain showers this time of year. So with the change in weather and a short rain sprinkle a few days ago I have been seeing a little activity around here. Have had several very fresh Vanessa carye (anabella) and one Vanessa cardui visit my Lantana along with a couple of Hesperiidae and a lonesome Brephidium exilis. While no more Apis mellifera have been seen, quite a few sphecid wasps (two species) have been hunting my Leucophyllum langmaniae that are quite entertaining. The differences in hunting techniques between the two species has been noteworthy.

Pictures of the activity has been another matter though as they have all been very unaccommodating in that department. Probably a mix of their drive to get the last of the seasons harvest, and my slow mobility. I keep my camera in my pocket and keep trying though.

Anyway, it's been nice to finally see that at least something arthropodic is alive out there with the almost total lack of activity this year.

Larry

{{gwi:547126}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus