Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Larry Gene

caterwallin
12 years ago

I thought you might want to add a new plant to the host plant list, Dictamnus albus (Gas Plant) for the Giant Swallowtail. I had heard before that it's a host plant for them, and now this year I have firsthand knowledge of that. I found a Giant Swallowtail caterpillar on one of my gas plants. I found all of the other (25) eggs on my Ruta graveolens. I don't know if it's that they prefer the rue over the D. albus to lay their eggs on or if it's because the rue has much more foliage than the gas plants. The gas plants are only a few years old compared to the gas plants, which I just plant here in 2009. They're growing but are only about a foot tall with a few dozen leaves on each plant. They're definitely dwarfed by the rue. At least now I know for sure that they are used as a host plant, and they get beautiful flowers in the spring. TIA for adding.

Cathy

Comments (5)

• larry_gene
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Will do--will notify when done

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Cathy, just curious, did you end up purchasing your Dictamnus, or did you grow from seed. I remember we discussed this several years ago, and how slowly they grow from seed, and how difficult germination could be (I think?).

I have Rue plus I got Ptelea trifoliata (Hop Tree/Wafer Ash) last year. It is growing slowly as well.

Susan

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lots, Larry!

Susan, I ended up purchasing the Dictamnus after having no success at trying to grow it from seed. I've never grown any at all from seed but not for the lack of trying. I never had such a difficult seed to try to get to germinate and I've grown lots. I suppose there are others out there, though, that I haven't tried that are also really difficult. Even Rose Franklin told me that they're very difficult to get to germinate. Here's what she said about Gas Plants:
    "Gas Plants are extremely hard to start from seed. For every 100 seeds I plant, I get less than 10 plants---and sometimes they don't germinate until two years after planting. Gas Plants are also hard to get established in the garden. I too lost several before I finally got six of them to grow. One of the toughest plants-----but one of the most beautiful of the spring bloomers!"

Me again. :) I asked her about them after having gotten frustrated trying to start them several times and that's what she told me. I decided to give up the seed route and decided to purchase them. I bought 7 in 2009 and planted them outside in one of the gardens. We had a really dry year that year and it was either that or the winter that did two of them in; 5 of them came back up last spring. So I purchased 2 this past spring to replace those 2 and all of them did well this year. They must be a thirsty plant then because we had way more than our share of rain this year!

That's good that you have some host plants of the Giant Swallowtail. They're such a fantastic butterfly, I think! Did you get any GSTs this year? I also want to get some Wafer Ash trees started here eventually...I keep saying that! From what I understand, they're an understory tree, so I guess I'd have to plant them in the woods. Even if it were a tree that would do good out in the yard, I think my husband would choke me if I put any more trees in the yard. lol Last year we planted a dozen Paw Paws out there (he dug and I planted). The year before that he helped me plant 4 cherry trees in the woods. This year we planted 2 tulip poplar (those came up on their own in my gardens and had to be relocated), 4 hackberries (started those from seed), 2 crapapples (babies from the one we had to cut down that was old and rotten), and 4 birch (to replace the one that was eventually ruined by the tree cutting guys that go through here every year for the utility companies). Someone had given me some Black Willow back in 2007 and so I have two very nice willow trees now that are about 7 or 8 feet high. I put those down by our stream because I figured they'd like it where there's water. I read that they can be invasive, but I doubt if they'd be any worse than that passionvine that I just got rid of (I think) this year. I got an Incense from someone but am going to keep it in a pot all the time. Now that the other one has me paranoid, I might just have some concrete poured to sit the pot on! lol Just kidding! Although...hmmm...it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to watch the bottom of the pot to make sure the roots aren't trying to wander. They aren't now yet, but I meant for the following years.

If you need anything, Susan, I don't mind trying to start it for you, even a wafer ash. I know you got one, but I didn't know if you might need more. I'll attempt to start some and I hope that I'll be able to do it. I read that they need a cold, moist period followed by a warm, moist period and then a second cold moist period for the seeds to germinate. That sounds like fun! :)

Cathy

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Cathy, it amazes me how ambitious you are! At this point, ambition has surged ahead, leaving me in its wake!

You are so kind, but I will be cutting back on my gardening, and only growing annuals next year. I have a Black Willow, Wild Cherry, and Tulip Tree (Yellow Poplar or Liriodendron tulipifera), and the Hop Tree. The Tulip Tree is the only one actually planted in the ground. I also have a bit of Rue for the GSTs. I didn't see any this summer, but we had very few butterflies at all. I am just now raising 14 BSTs, and have 12 Monarch chrysalises. The Monarchs are not laying eggs now, but I am seeing them frequently nectaring in the garden.

Hop Trees are pretty small trees and I've read they can even be grown as a shrub. I read an article recently that they are a "threatened" species in Pennsylvania.

I can't imagine anyone having to "plant" Hackberry Trees...they are soooo prevalent here in Oklahoma. I am surrounded by them, and Elm.

Speaking of Hackberry, I saw a little Snout butterfly nectaring on the Asters the other day. I am not seeing much except Monarchs, a few Skippers, a few Gray Hairstreaks, and bunch of unknown little moths flying around. Since next year will be my last "larger scale" gardening year, I hope it is a good one!

Susan

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

OK, it's in. Very near the top of the list as the GS is the first butterfly in the roster.