Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asarum canadense/Wild Ginger for Pipevine Swallowtails?

Posted by fairfieldcircle 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 14:34

Hi, lep lovers,

I am looking around online for easy ways to enhance my woodland garden for the butterflies and I've come across a few online references to Wild Ginger used as a host plant for Pipevine Swallowtails.

Does anyone on this forum have good luck with attracting Pipevine Swallowtails with this Asarum? And have you seen any eggs on the leaves?

We live in southwest Ohio (Cincinnati) and if anyone knows or tips on how to grow from seed or get a colony going, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks so much. f.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asarum canadense/Wild Ginger for Pipevine Swallowtails?

There are a few threads on here about pipevine and wild ginger, but no one here has ever posted confirmation that wild ginger works. I keep wanting to try but the deer make short work of my wild ginger.

KC

o

We have had wild ginger on our Indy property for at least 30 years and never PVS until we planted aristolochia.Two summers ago we had hundreds this year zero. Hardly any butterflies at all this year. Jay

o

Forum member napapen of California has tried this in years past but never reported any success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here