Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Erinnyis obscura

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 8, 10 at 14:35

Finally have some pics of the moth, including larvae, pupae, and adult moth images. Not very good as I am still working with this camera I got to get the "perfect" shot. You can click on the image for a larger size photo.

Last instar prior to pupation:

From Lepidoptera - moths

Pupal case, which is gorgeous!

From Lepidoptera - moths

Photos of adult moth:

From Lepidoptera - moths

From Lepidoptera - moths

From Lepidoptera - moths

From Lepidoptera - moths

From Lepidoptera - moths

These little sphinx moths are much more delicate than I thought they would be. I was prepared for them to look like a Nessus sphinx or a Snowberry Clearwing, with stouter bodies, but they are not at all. Still, a lovely little sphinx with that cryptic coloration and the orange lower wings.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Erinnyis obscura

The pattern on those pupae really is beautiful! I've never seen one of those before, thanks for posting the pictures.

I was about to reply to your other post about how to upload pictures, but it looks like you've got it figured out quite well already!

o

Yes, after trial and error, I kinda figured it out, Molanic. I really do like this program and thanks for turning me on to it!

The pupal cases are gorgeous, aren't they? Remind me of some tropical wood grain that I'd love to have in my house.

Susan

o

VERY cool pics Susan, especially the first one! Those pupal cases are just gorgeous. It's all very interesting to me. I currently have a Tersa Sphinx pupal case in my garage. I have had it since March 30th. I wonder when it will eclose.

o

Uh oh, doesn't sound very good, Angie. But, stranger things have happened and it might eclose yet. Wow, those Tersas were that early in spring for you? I mean, I know you're in zone 7b in Georgia, right? But still seems a bit early for them. I usually get them in late summer, and not every year. I had lots of Pentas this summer, but no Tersas. I have 2 Manduca sextas preparing to pupate, and one smaller one still consuming Datura leaves. They will definitely overwinter. Also have 3 Amorpha juglandis overwintering as pupae, too. These are also small sphinx moths, and very pretty. I love the way the males have an abdoment that curves upward. I find them on the Pecan trees.

These Obscure Sphinx moths were a real surprise for me, since they are a rare sight in Oklahoma, though they are known to fly here occasionally at that time of year - early September. Was glad I had the opportunity to observe and raise them. All 4 cats pupated and emerged successfully, so they seemed pretty easy to work with.

Thanks a lot ladies!

Susan

o

Well Susan, the Tersa Pupa was found in a flower bed, and seems to be intact. Do you think it's no good then? I put it inside a small mesh tent in my garage and have been keeping an eye on it. Should I toss it? Here is a shot of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tersa Sphinx Pupa

o

If you found it as a pupa in March, then it probably overwintered from the previous fall. Hmmmmm. Not likely it would now eclose or wait until next spring - that would be 2 seasons as a pupa, kinda long. However, since it is in a tent in your garage, you might want to keep it til next spring, around April or May to see if it will eventually eclose. But, I would guess it is not viable. They do have such distinctive pupal cases, don't they?

I keep hoping that Larry_Gene or Ladobe will pop in here to verify my ID on the E. obscura. I'm sure they will when they have time.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here