Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catgirl18

Winter care of saturniid moth pupa

I have 20 imperial moth pupa, 2 promethea pupa and 9 cincta cats. I have read from numerous places that the pupa can dry out over the winter, so they should be misted periodically, but never a good idea of how much. The imperials are in peat. How damp should it be? If they were underground outside, the ground would be pretty damp from rain and snow, right? How much should I mist the promethea and rothschildia cinctas? Thanks! Cathy

Comments (3)

• catgirl18 - zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks KC. I've already read both of those, and they are helpful just kinda contradictory. I guess I'll see how it goes this year and gain experience from it. Thanks again for the info. Cathy

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

I find overwintering imperials to be a crap shoot. What works wonderfully one year can be a total bust the next year. I have no idea why. Very discouraging. I have found that keeping the dirt buckets inside all winter works out great but the moths will eclose around 6 weeks earlier than the wild ones. Not a good thing if you are trying to attract wild males.

I never mist cocoons and things work out fine. That said, I'm not going to claim that method works fine with prometheas because I have overwintered maybe a handful of them.

Sponsored