Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by Cresphontes none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 14:58

Hello, I was wondering what plant this is. As you can see the butterflies love it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

A closer look at the flowers.

o

It looks like queens nectaring on mist flower.

Mist flower is blooming everywhere now!

Sherry

o

So if you could Id it I'd be very happy and plant it immediately.
Thanks , Nicholas

o

Wow that was super fast. I didn't even see that when I posted my second reply. Thanks Sherry.

Nicholas

o

I only saw the first picture when I answered you, Nicholas. The butterfly ID is correct, but the mist flower looks a little different from what we have here. Maybe it's just a different variety of mist flower. I made this picture recently of a female gulf frit nectaring on some growing along my road -

photo GFonMistflower_zps24ef98b7.jpg

Sherry

o

that's a nice flowery bush!! would love to have it in my yard, what is that?

o

That's it I think =)

Nicholas

o

Nicholas, I sat down at my computer and answered your questions before I noticed you had JUST posted! :)

The mist flower that grows here is Conoclinium coelestrinum, but there are other varieties of Conoclinium that grow in the Southwest. There's a white flowering plant that's very similar that's native to the desert Southwest, also.

Sherry

o

o

The plant that I grow is MISTFLOWER (Eupatorium coelestinum).

The attached link describes the plant and it's characteristics. It will actively reseed.

http://www.abnativeplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantdetail&plant_id=101

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here