Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlieamanda

how and what to feed my newly found Laurel Sphinx caterpillar

Charlieamanda
9 years ago

Yesterday I found a beautiful Laurel Sphinx caterpillar walking along my gravel walkway:) It was pouring out and I made the decision to take it in for the winter, but here's my problem...
*What and how can I feed it? Sounds like a straightforward question, but it's a bit more complicated:(
It's fall and I'm in a forest, literally, on top a mountain and most of the trees have dropped or are in the state of dropping their already brown and dried up/ changed leaves:(
Several care sheets and articles I've read on the Laurel Sphinx caterpillar said it prefers Lilac, Ash, Fringe, Privet, and plants in the Olive family, luckily I have a lilac bush, incredibly small, but its leaves are almost all gone and whats left are yellowed and not very "healthy" looking. I picked a few of the leaves and put them in the container but it doesn't seem interested in them.
prior to this week it's been in the 60's during the day and in the 30's & 40's at night, but this weeks been unseasonably warm and 70's in the day and 60's at night. After today the temperatures will be returning to the cooler temps.
I'm planning on adding soil to it's enclosure and keeping it in my window, so it's exposed to the outside temperatures so it winters.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last year I caught and cared for a polyphemus moth(I pray that's the spelling and correct name), which I actually thought was a Luna moth caterpillar, that was a surprise, anyway, it made a cocoon in the fall and in spring emerged in my bathroom window! I was lucky enough to have gotten a female and was shocked by all the males fluttering around outside the window screen:) I brought her outside and put her on my windows screen and she mated almost immediately, which went on for several hours and few off;) It was one of the most amazing experiences.

Comments (10)

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Yes, at this late date it may not need to eat anything.

• woollybear69
    9 years ago

A beautiful caterpillar, and a beautiful photo.

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Give it branches to turn into a chrysalis on.

• Charlotte Pierson
    8 years ago

Sorry I've been meaning to update this post....

Thanks for your responses.

Shortly after I posted my story the laurel sphinx caterpillar formed it's chrysalis and I placed it's enclosure in the basement until a few days ago. It's alive and wiggles when touched so I'm excited for it to emerge:)

I posted another pic in its current state I can't see it, but fingers crossed it'll post:)

I'll post a follow up pic when it emerges, again, like the polyphemus, it's now in my toasty warm bathroom.

• Charlotte Pierson
    8 years ago

• susanlynne48 (OKC7a)
    8 years ago

Make sure the newly emerged moth will have something to climb on in order to expand and dry its wings. Otherwise, the wings may be deformed, and the moth unable to fly. I love sphinx moths and have raised several different ones. BTW, where are you located?

Susan

• Charlotte Pierson
    8 years ago

Thanks Susan I'm in Milford Pennsylvania in gold key lake estates, basically a forest by 3 lakes and swamps lol

I have its container open so it can emerge and adequately spread/dry it's wings in a contained and controlled room.

I did the same for my polyphemus moth and it worked out very well and she mated almost immediately after I brought her outside, with gloves, careful not to damage her wings.

Also have the option of opening the window screen if it's difficult to catch it etc.

Thanks again:)

• MissSherry
    8 years ago

That is (or was) a beautiful caterpillar! Congratulations on finding it!

Sherry

• Charlotte Pierson
    8 years ago

Thanks sherry I'm really lucky to live where I do because I see and find some amazing catapillars, butterflies and moths, as well as lots of other amazing creatures:)

It still has not emerged but the chrysalis seems to be getting larger and bending, so I hope that's a sign it's going to be coming out soon:)

Sponsored