Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

FOUR Monarchs feeding in my backyard

Mary Leek
9 years ago

I have never seen more than one Monarch at a time in the years I've been growing plants for them.

Today I currently have FOUR in my small backyard. They've been out there at least two hours, flitting from Buddleia davidii (Butterfly Bush) to Lantana, to Verbena bonariensis. Thank goodness I still have these plants in full bloom. They must be awfully hungry to stick around so long (or maybe this is normal and I've just never been lucky enough to witness it). My son, without asking, recently 'helped' me by cleaning up what he thought were overgrown weeds (all of my milkweed) so all I can offer them are the nectar plants.

I've watched two of them do their spiral dance, which makes me think they may eventually mate and lay eggs? If so, I hope they move on south before laying eggs, so the little cats have time to mature before cold weather hits.

Anyway, just wanted to share this wonderful observation with everyone. It is such a special treat. I've not gone down to the garden to try and take photos for fear I'd disturb them. I've just been enjoying them from the deck. From this distance, they appear healthy, with extremely vivid colors and no tattered wings. I don't know how the season is progressing as far as count goes but I'm hoping this is an example of a good season for them. Thanks to the many home gardeners who have answered the call to help.

They are obviously on the move!

Mary

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years