Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickinla_gw

Weed ID

rickinla
11 years ago

This "weed" was in the pot of milkweed that I purchased, it also grows wild in some of the damp areas on my place. Any idea what it is? I thought it was milkweed but it has branches coming from the main stem. It has a small yellow flower at the end of the tubes.

Comments (5)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

It's Ludwigia octovalvis in the evening primrose family, rickinla, and as far as I know, it doesn't have a common name. That's strange, since it's common in the southernmost parts of MS, LA, and undoubtedly AL. It grows everywhere along the MS Gulf Coast, but it's not as common here, and I'm just 35 miles inland - speaking of which, I need to check some I found in a wet area along Hwy. 49 for seeds.

It's supposed to be a host for the beautiful banded sphinx moth. One night a banded sphinx flew into my kitchen! I took it outside and put it on some screen to hang out 'til morning -

{{gwi:452464}}

Sherry

• msomally
    11 years ago

I wonder if I could grow that in zone 10? Great pic of the sphinx moth Sherry. Nice of him/her? to pose for you after the rescue!

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Yes, it was! Actually, now that I look at the picture, I must have made the picture with the flash on the porch, because I think it flew in at night? It's an old picture, so I can't remember for sure.
    I looked up L. octovalvis, and it's got a common name - Mexican primrose. The govt. site showed it as being native to Florida, so if that's where you are, I'm sure you can grow it, maybe you can even find it growing somewhere wild. The only thing it has to have is wetness - I think it grows prolifically on the MS Gulf Coast, because Gulfport, Biloxi, etc. are low and flat, have poor drainage, so there are a lot of spots where it can be happy. There are low hills and valleys here, so there are fewer constantly wet spots for it to grow. Hmmmmmm......I might look at the ponds around here for it - everybody but me has a pond! :)

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the id Sherry, i guess it can stay since it's a host plant. If those tubes contain seeds, I'll be glad to send you some if you would like them.

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

If you should find any, let me know, and I'll send you a SASE, rickinla. I tried to e-mail you through this forum, but there was no way to do so. You could probably e-mail me through this forum, I'll have to check my page.

Sherry

Sponsored