Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my butterfly eggs and cats???

Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 18:13

I see the eggs and then the next day they are gone...also the cats disappear overnite...as a result I have few butterflys. I haven't seen or found the culprit and wonder if anyone can guide me... here in central Fla. we are overrun with bugs of all kinds, someone suggested 'paper wasps', another suggestion was 'assasin bugs', here on the Fla. Forum, but I have not seen any in my no-spray garden... maybe someone can suggest something?? Thanks, sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my butterfly eggs and cats???

The possibilities are endless as to what's getting them. In my area, predatory stink bugs are usually common and eat many caterpillars given the opportunity. It could be that they're dying for what reason I don't know - do mosquito spray trucks frequent your streets?

There are also some critters that reportedly take butterfly eggs, although fortunately for me, they don't occur here.

A good solution is to take the eggs on the leaves they're on, put the stems of these leaves in water picks or left over containers with water in them and holes punched in the tops and raise them in cages yourself. The FAQ section should have links to information on how to raise them.

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here